Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0291  (Read 790 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0291
« on: May 07, 2007, 06:46:11 PM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0291
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 12:48:37 AM »
This is another great show. You could count this show as 1 or 2 time Barn tried to kill Julia. Once in the Bed, where she wasn't, and once at the end of the show, when she plays her trump card.

She should have told Barnabas, that she did tell someone, she was going over to the Old House, (but that might have been tough)

I like the sceen  where  Barn is blocking her escape with his arm on the bed poll. Very good sceen for chemestry betweeen them.

Barnabas is using his normal MO. Kill people you don't trust.

JF and GH did awsome. The shows get better and better.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 02:53:17 AM »
Golly, Julia is cool.  Twice today she was in the process of being strangled, and twice she managed to talk Barnabas out of it while he had his hands around her throat.  What always gets me is the second time.  Barnabas says, "Maggie Evans is dead!"  If I were in Julia's shoes, I'd say, "No, she isn't!"  But Julia, even with her windpipe under assault, can manage to come up with a more provocative answer: "Is she?"

The scene between Dr. Woodard, Sam Evans, and Joe Haskell was strategically placed.  We haven't seen Sam and Joe in weeks, and now we get the reminder that Julia can't just drop Maggie like a hot potato now that she's found her vampire.  I'm back to wondering what Julia had in mind when she first started looking for vampires.  (There's a fan fiction story waiting to written about Julia's sabbatical in Transylvania.)  She knows that vampires are killers.  Is it her plan to cure the vampire, publish her earthshaking journal article, and end it with "The subject is currently paying his debt to society at the Shawshank Correctional Facility"?

Once again Robert Gerringer veered away from the traditional scene ending by looking away from the camera instead of staring into it, and doing something else.  (I remember noticing him doing that before, weeks ago.)  I can't remember what he did - but I like that about Gerringer.  Somebody mentioned on this Forum that he played a rogue on some other soap.  I wish I could see that.

I just love the way Jonathan Frid manages to bat away that fly in character as Barnabas: so imperiously!  The rest of the time today, he was more melodramatic than imperious.  Poor thing, what's a vampire to do when a certain doctor flat-out refuses to be scared of him?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 05:35:13 AM »
I much prefer Julia as fearless.    The couple episodes (I started to call it a "period" because it seems to last so much longer than two episodes, to me) where Julia is collapsing in fear of Barnabas (when he wants the journal) are a betrayal of the character. 

The moment where she lays out her plan to medically treat BCs vampirism is what made the show for me, as a kid.  I may not have seen the actual moment back then, but the application of science to it was probably what caught my attention, as a science-fiction-inclined kid.    There was a brand new idea, that took supernatural storytelling to a new level.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

CT!_CTP/FITBs

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 07:42:13 PM »

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 01:02:41 PM »
Julia was fearless today! [winkg]  It was fascinating to hear her explain to Barnabas how she planned to cure him.   [ideag] When she pulled out the ace in the whole - the knowledge that Maggie was alive and well hidden - that was exciting! [shkdg]  Barnabas was inclined to strangle Julia to get this new threat to him out of the way, but she slyly was able to talk her way out of it both times! [winkg]  Well acted by JF and GH. [cheer]  Great episode! [bigok]

----- Sally -----
[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]