Author Topic: "Potential new DS movie"  (Read 8807 times)

Offline Bsatellite

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: "Potential new DS movie"
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2005, 11:05:24 PM »
Since I am a loyal fan of the original DS, I had trouble in seeing the remake of the show on TV. I would not mind to see another made but it would have to stay within the original idea. The fact that there so many actors and actresses out there that we find facinating, can we actually stay loyal if we try someone who may good with one element and suck in another? Stay true to the story and then stay true to the characters. I do not know the answer but I do know that any imitation is not even up to the original's standard. :)

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2005, 11:42:29 PM »
"a potential new DS movie and other projects are being planned..."

Has so much ever been read into so little?

Applying that logic, has there ever been a time when there hasn't been potential for a new DS movie?  Sorry guys, but Dan Curtis sitting in his office saying "I'd like to make a DS movie" doesn't really cut much ice.  If wellmeaning intentions were all it took to get a film project bankrolled, we'd all be in showbusiness.

Is see you went to the dictionary too Stuart. lol I had to use my high school thesaurus. lol
Seriously, you are right in saying (at least what I think you are saying) that the Fest's representation, that there is a potential new DS movie being planned, should not have been made based on a history of DC making similar comments coupled with the fact that there may not be anything actually happening. I remember several years or more ago, in a magazine article (Fangoria?), DC boasted something like ' I have decided it is time to make a new DS movie'. That was said when there apparently was no new script and no studio backing. Well the movie never happened. Perhaps Mary is right when she posted that perhaps this statement was made to draw more people to the Fest. I just don't think it is ethically sound.

The end. lol

So, exactly how is what Stuart wrote different from what I wrote?  I'm curious because you made a point of disagreeing with me and now you're agreeing with what is essentially the same opinion but expressed by someone else.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2005, 12:07:35 AM »
Gothele, I like your suggestion of a Gosford Park-esque remake of DS. It certainly would be interesting to see what Robert Altman would do with DS.

I agree...actually I told my mom about that idea and she liked it too. And we all know mother knows best... ;) :-*

As for casting, I'd love to see Faye Dunaway as Elizabeth. I think she'd do a great job capturing the elegance, imperiousness, and strength of the character.

Interesting idea... And FWIW, as far as that mailer is concerned (like many of you I think its much ado about nothin' for now), its like the old saying...believe only half of what you read, and in this case, who really knows what the future will bring. And as a certain divine redhead would say, that and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee (or something  ^-^). Thank you and good night... LOL  ;D

p.s. Connie, I think it was a chocolate martini...  >:D   ;)

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2005, 01:53:44 AM »
Perhaps Mary is right when she posted that perhaps this statement was made to draw more people to the Fest. I just don't think it is ethically sound.

I don't see what the problem is.  All it's saying is that DS might have a future - that in itself is not an active reason to attend a festival...  If anyone wants to attend a convention solely because of a half a sentence of maybes, they deserve all they get.

I'm reminded of a joke first coined by another TV fandom, but it's kinda apt:

Q: How many Dark Shadows fans does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None. They just sit and wait for it to come back on again.

Those are the jokes, folks - I'm here all week.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2005, 02:09:34 AM »
So, exactly how is what Stuart wrote different from what I wrote?  I'm curious because you made a point of disagreeing with me and now you're agreeing with what is essentially the same opinion but expressed by someone else.

I will try to answer your question after I down some of some of the drinks Connie feels the Fest is drinking. lol

I still do disagree with your interpretation of what the Fest had meant when it claimed that there was a potential new DS movie being planned. You stated that, "All that statement means is that DC is open to reviving DS in some form, at some point if the right vehicle comes along". Now comes the difficult part for me because I really don't exactly know what Stuart meant in his last post. Only he can say if my take on his post is on the mark. I think Stuart was saying is that the Fest should not have made that statement (basis of this topic) because it is based on DC's belief that he can make a DS movie almost at will and when he felt like doing so and that a new DS movie is always about to happen. I agree that DC feels this way is some egotistic context.

I do agree with you in the context that DC would immediately do a new DS movie if it fell in his lap (simply put). But I disagree with your interpretation of what the Fest's message was suppose to be to the fans receiving the mailings. The Fest clearly intended to advise DS fans that a potential new DS movie was in the works. I just think it is a misleading statement. It just comes down to our different interpretation of what the Fest intended us to understand. So perhaps we agree with each other in a different vein.

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2005, 02:16:40 AM »
I think Stuart was saying is that the Fest should not have made that statement (basis of this topic) because it is based on DC's belief that he can make a DS movie almost at will and when he felt like doing so and that a new DS movie is always about to happen. I agree that DC feels this way is some egotistic context.

I don't think that at all - the Festival can say what it likes. I just don't get why it warrants any detailed discussion, because there's nothing there to really talk about.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2005, 02:27:56 AM »
I don't think that at all - the Festival can say what it likes. I just don't get why it warrants any detailed discussion, because there's nothing there to really talk about.

When I wrote "the end" in one of my last posts, I thought this topic had concluded. But I believe ClaudeNorth deserved a response to his question to me. Sorry if I put words in your mouth.
I never dreamed that this topic would have generated the responses that it did. Actually, I had some real good laughs here. This topic could have made the basis of a Seinfeld episode. All about nothing.
Again Stuart I apologize if I took liberties with your posts. Thanks for correcting the record.
The end?

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2005, 04:03:19 AM »
    Agreed. I think handing the pen off to someone who's just going to fast forward through
the eps just to get a good GIST of the show is certainly not going to cut it here. It takes
a fan to do a show justice when put on the big screen. ~DJ

A DS movie could be really cool if handled by people who would understand the series and the characters.  I'm leaning toward Tim Burton, if he does it seriously.

Hopefully they'll announce something soon.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2005, 05:50:20 AM »
While it helps that someone is familiar with the DS vehicle, I feel the main criterion is someone who knows how to make a film.  One that captivates our imagination, can tell a good story and knows how to cast actors that fit the characters in question is always a first choice for me.  Will it be the original?  By no means.  Could it be better then the original?  You bet.

However, just having a fan that isn't a good film maker make a DS movie is a lose, lose proposition for the entire vehicle, original, new and indifferent.

As a general rule, I never believe anything concerning new DS ventures unless it's confirmed by other third party newspapers.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2005, 05:53:28 AM »
Q: How many Dark Shadows fans does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None. They just sit and wait for it to come back on again.

Those are the jokes, folks - I'm here all week.

[lghy]  [hello]  [lghy]

I love this!  Got any others?  
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2005, 06:05:02 AM »
While it helps that someone is familiar with the DS vehicle, I feel the main criterion is someone who knows how to make a film.  One that captivates our imagination, can tell a good story and knows how to cast actors that fit the characters in question is always a first choice for me.  Will it be the original?  By no means.  Could it be better then the original?  You bet.

However, just having a fan that isn't a good film maker make a DS movie is a lose, lose proposition for the entire vehicle, original, new and indifferent.

As a general rule, I never believe anything concerning new DS ventures unless it's confirmed by other third party newspapers.

Oh, but it's fun to dream, isn't it. ;)

And that's pretty much what I meant in a nutshell. I didn't mean to say that they'd be better off taking just any fan
off the street, give them a pen and paper and say, "Here! Doodle out a script!" No, I'm talking about the more experienced
screen-play writers, directors, etc., who are familiar with Dark Shadows. Either way, I'd watch it b/c I'm a hardcore fan, but
it'd still be nice to have someone who's not only a fan themselves but who's skilled in the field, also. And DAMMIT I didn't
mean to rhyme that... lol. ~DJ

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2005, 12:14:39 AM »
My nephew announced (about a week ago) that he had just seen a trailer/promo for the new Willy Wonka movie. Anyway, I bring it up because he says Johnny Depp plays the title role and that Tim Burton is director. So I was wondering if anyone else has seen it and has come away with any sense of a yea or nay on the much discussed fantasy of Depp as Barn and Burton as director (in a DS movie), based on your viewing of the preview of their current collaboration?

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2005, 02:41:53 AM »
     My family saw the trailer several weeks ago.  My son asked me if the man playing Willy Wonka was Michael Jackson.  Depp looks kinda creepy.  Not Barnabas creepy but icky creepy.  I think I may see the film out of curiosity.  I would be interested in everyones first impression upon seeing the trailer. 
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2005, 02:50:54 AM »
I'm with onyx_treasure-- he looks bizarre.

The preview is here:  http://chocolatefactorymovie.warnerbros.com/video.html.  Violet (Denise Nickerson's role) is now a tiny blonde.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2005, 03:24:43 AM »
I plan on seeing it. I'm no Willy Wonka fan, but I love Depp and I like Burton, so I'm automatically curious if nothing else. It does look really out there....

It really doesn't make a good comparison to a DS film with Depp and Burton. If something is to be compared, I think Sleepy Hollow would be the better choice (it achieved a really beautiful gothic tone, IMO), and even then, their DS would have an atomsphere all its own I'm sure.