Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0940  (Read 1634 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0940
« on: February 20, 2010, 12:01:22 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0940
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:46:43 AM »
Another Ang VO, but not a fake out this time.   Jeb > monster anywhere, but monster > Jeb can only take place in the Room.  I didn't know that.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:45:06 AM »
Today we learned that Barnabas did consult with Julia about how to poison Jeb.  How disappointing.  I thought for sure that she would realize anybody who could grow from baby to man as fast as Jeb did would not be susceptible to ordinary poison.

Angelique's all ready to be spun off into a sitcom.  I never could stand Bewitched, though for the wrong reason.  I thought, quite correctly, that the weekly plots were all annoyingly contrived, but I never thought that Darren was wrong to insist that his wife act like somebody she was not.  Gosh, it's depressing to remember how dumb I was.  But at least I was smart enough to like Dark Shadows.

How is Julia going to cause her car to break down?  People do it all the time in movies and TV shows (or anyway, that's my impression), but I wouldn't know how to do it to my own car.  Oh, well, I suppose I could siphon most of the gas out of it, but how do you make sure the car will stop in the right place?  I guess I could just turn the key at the right time, but I know I would make a mess of it and the intended victim would see me doing it.  Has anybody here caused his or her own car to break down?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 10:33:47 PM »
The reunion scene between Barnabas and Angelique could have been spectacular, but I sensed an immediacy to cover certain background information, leaving no room for meaningful dialogue.  Or maybe Gordon Russell just wasn't up to the task, because I found the rest of the ep boring.  I honestly feel that the Leviathan shark has been jumped.

Angelique:  "Carolyn knew me as Cassandra."
Barnabas:  "She won't recognize you. You had dark hair."
 [rofl10]

I recognized the piece Carolyn supposedly plays on the piano as Chopin's Prelude No. 7 in A major.

Red flags should already be raised, but when Jeb let himself into her house and barged in on her closed-door conversation with Quentin, the last thing that Carolyn should have done was comment about how unsurprised she was by his behavior.

Quentin:  "Why don't we kidnap him and keep him away from the room?"
Barnabas:  "Take my word for it, as risky as it is, my way is the best."
That's SO typical!!!  Even though Quentin's plan might actually have worked, it always has to be Barnabas' way!

Jeb > monster anywhere, but monster > Jeb can only take place in the Room.  I didn't know that.

That's backwards, MT.  The monster can turn into Jeb anywhere, but Jeb has be in the room to become the monster.

Today we learned that Barnabas did consult with Julia about how to poison Jeb.  How disappointing.  I thought for sure that she would realize anybody who could grow from baby to man as fast as Jeb did would not be susceptible to ordinary poison.

At least that scene established that no amount of poison could affect Jeb, which explains why in this ep he was able to drink the drugged champagne along with Carolyn but was not affected by it.

Angelique's all ready to be spun off into a sitcom.  I never could stand Bewitched,

Has LP as Angelique bitten her lip before, as she did when she opened the door and saw Barnabas?  It seemed to be a Samantha-like gesture, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.  At least she didn't say, "Oh, my stars!"

Has anybody here caused his or her own car to break down?

Nope, but I think I'd simply fake it, because as little as I know about cars, Carolyn probably knows even less.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 12:03:11 AM »
leaving no room for meaningful dialogue.  Or maybe Gordon Russell just wasn't up to the task, because I found the rest of the ep boring.  I honestly feel that the Leviathan shark has been jumped.

Gee, ya think?  [snow_wink]  And the worst was still yet to come at this point. But as I recently mentioned in another topic, the writers didn't believe in what they were doing when they were writing much of Leviathans - particularly this final third. And I would think it's extremely hard to write something that's compelling, as it otherwise might be, when you have no faith in it. Especially when you have someone like DC holding over your head that you can be replaced if you don't want to write the show the way he wants it written.  [sad3]

Angelique:  "Carolyn knew me as Cassandra."
Barnabas:  "She won't recognize you. You had dark hair."
 [rofl10]

Lest anyone fall prey to actually believing that, never forget that one of the signs you might be addicted to DS is when
9.) You frequently don a black wig and think that it alone completely hides your true identity.

[snow_laugh]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 04:50:17 AM »
That's backwards, MT.  The monster can turn into Jeb anywhere, but Jeb has be in the room to become the monster.

I wonder if someone got it wrong onsacreen, then.   I keep a spiral notebook handy and write these things down right away, and that surprised me enough to grab the notebook.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 05:31:09 AM »
I wonder if someone got it wrong onsacreen, then.   I keep a spiral notebook handy and write these things down right away, and that surprised me enough to grab the notebook.

Well, Jeb transformed in the police station from the creature to Jeb.

I grab a spiral notebook too to write down the quotes that strike me as interesting.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 05:44:25 AM »
That was a GREAT addition to the list, MB!  lol

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 01:46:35 PM »
If Angelique wanted to stay disconnected from the Collins, she could have done nothing.

But we all know in our hearts that she wanted to be involved.

I wonder if Barnabas thought that she had done really well for herself.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate