Author Topic: Haunted Browser  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Haunted Browser
« on: February 13, 2004, 11:17:21 PM »
Oh for cryin' out loud!!  It's happening again.
Earlier, I clicked on the board and I was already logged in.  Huh?  After I read a few posts I LOGGED OUT!!!

Now I click on the board again, and I'm already logged in!  Why on earth could this be happening?

It's always SOMETHING with this damned computer.  I've HAD it.  I'm moving to Tangiers or something.

Oh yeah -- also, what exactly is Java?  Whatever it is, it's not working on here - I get errors.  Do I need it?
Can I get rid of it?

- Duh   ???
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Haunted Browser
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 01:53:59 AM »
Connie.....

MY WONERFUL, WONERFUL JOISEY GIRL....DON'T YOU MOVE!!

Is it a javascript error?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 02:56:33 AM »
.....'she speaks too soon.... :-X  ::) '

Of course, I just tried to 'scan my firewall???' and I couldn't...but, when I just came back in here, I was not logged in (even though I ALWAYS stay logged in and at home NEVER 'log out')!!!!

Patti

PS...Connie...maybe it's a Joisey thaang??? >:D
What a Woman!

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 06:12:24 AM »
Is it a javascript error?

Yeah I guess.  Some sort of Java runtime error.  In the message it gives you 3 choices - Abort, Retry, and Cancel I think.  If you want to retry you have to have JIT enabled.  I don't know what or where JIT is or if I even have it.  Anyway, anything I click causes the browser to have another error then it closes.
So.......Patti.......solve the problem for me.  (Talk about the blind leading the blind)  ROFL

PS...Connie...maybe it's a Joisey thaang???

Could be, what with all the wacko stuff happening lately -- like that big car chase up around Jersey City yesterday and then ANOTHER one today!  (Hey - if ABC in NY interrupts Oprah to show a live feed via 3 helicopters, you KNOW it's big stuff).
Yeah, sure.   ::)

Well Patti, I'd come up and visit you sometime so we could straighten out all these Jersey problems, but I get the feeling I'd leave even more confused than when I arrived!  [sure]

love
CLC    ;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 09:08:28 AM »
If you are using Internet Explorer, go to "Tools" "Internet Options".  No click on the tab "Advanced" and scoll down pretty far until you get to the words, "Microsoft VM" and check the circle that says "JIT Complier for Virtual Machine enabled".  Then click, "Apply" (bottom right of this window) and then "Ok".  Close all you windows and reboot your computer.  See if this fixes it.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 04:30:19 PM »
The forum doesn't need to have Java enabled - and I wouldn't suggest that you enable Java because you could be letting yourself in for more problems than you want. However, the forum does require that you enable JavaScript, which is a different thing.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 10:22:57 AM »
The forum doesn't need to have Java enabled - and I wouldn't suggest that you enable Java because you could be letting yourself in for more problems than you want. However, the forum does require that you enable JavaScript, which is a different thing.

Oh no.  I can't take this.  Where can I go to understand, EXPLAINED SIMPLY, what Java is, what Javascript is, and what the difference is?

The thing victoriawinters said about enabling JIT compiler......it's already enabled on here.  In that section of internet settings I see this:
-----------------
 Java (Sun)
   Use Java 2 v1.41_07 for <applet>  ----(this is checked)

Java VM
   Java console enabled
   Java logging enabled
   JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled  -----(this is checked)
------------------

I DON'T know what any of this is.

In the security section under Java permissions, I have "medium" checked.  Should this be changed to "high" safety?

Do I have Java enabled?  Do I have Javascript enabled?

Somebody should maybe just put me out of my misery right now 'cause I don't know what the f*** is going on.  All I know is, things don't seem to be working right, I'm so sick of computer problems, and I don't have the TIME to try and figure out what's wrong, what's changed, and why.
I hate this thing, I hate this thing, I hate this g**d**** thing!!!!!

Sorry for my ranting and raving  :-X
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 03:26:13 PM »
Java and JavaScript have almost nothing to do with one another. Java is a full-featured computer programming language. With it, programmers can create entire applications and those applications must first be translated into machine code that the computer's CPU can understand. However, Java's main use in a browser is to create applets, which are small programs that download over the Internet. Java applets are embedded into Web pages using the HTML <applet> tag, and when a browser sees that tag, it downloads the applet from the server, and runs it in the browser in an area of the screen specified by the applet.

On the other hand, JavaScript doesn't have to be translated into machine code first to be understood.  When a browser sees the HTML <script> tag, it simply checks to see which language the script is written in (i.e JavaScript, VBScript, etc.) and your browser is able to take care of things from there all on its own.

The JIT compliler in IE does not need to be enabled for IE to understand JavaScript. And in fact, unless you regularly visit Web sites that use applets, I wouldn't even enable it. If, however, you do visit sites that use applets, I would suggest that you set IE's Virtual Machine security to high. To do this, first select "Internet Options" from IE's "Tools" drop-down menu. From there select the "Security" tab, highlight "Internet" and click on "Custom Level...". Scroll down to "Microsoft VM" and click on "High safety". (It's perfectly fine if the custom settings itself is set to "medium".) Then clck "OK".

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 07:04:13 PM »
Ah....thank you MB.  I'm gonna study everything you said a little later when I'm more awake.
Just one thing.....can you give an example of something you might see on a webpage that uses Javascript, and something that uses a Java applet.  I'm assuming the errors happening on here are associated with Java applets that aren't loading and running.  (??)
 :-
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>