Author Topic: It's DEAD....  (Read 1623 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
It's DEAD....
« on: June 20, 2007, 01:32:22 AM »
Just thought I'd say here that I plan on continuing to use the regular Caption This! board, as well as the Fill In The Blanks one, and I hope people will go there, even though it's a bit harder to find now.    When I come to DSF, I click on 'new posts' but maybe others here don't, and won't see posts on CT! unless they specifically go there.

Anyway, so few things are fun on your own.    "Fill In The Blanks" is a great idea, but I like the flexibility of CT! too.     Come by once in a while, why don't you....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: It's DEAD....
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 01:58:34 AM »
Good point.  Very good point.  I've got a less visual memory than yours, though, so the Fill-in-the-blanks things are more likely to percolate in my head than the pictures are.

It's DEAD....but does it poop?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 02:17:53 AM »
Actually, the original plan was to put the Caption This! boards on complete hiatus for the foreseeable future - meaning there would have been no new posting allowed on any of them - only the ability to see the screen captures so that members who might want to use them for set ups on the Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board could do so. The only thing that prevented that was the fact that Years 4 and 5/Movies don't have as many captions on them as the first three do, so we figured it might be nice to leave captioning possible on only those two to let them catch up, if you will.  ;)  But, sorry, any sort of posting on Years 1, 2 and 3 has been completely suspended.

Now, that's certainly not to say all the Caption This! boards won't be open to posting captions again. They most definitely will. Just not any time soon. The forum's primary focus right now is on the Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board, and we appreciate that members are supporting it.  :)

When I come to DSF, I click on 'new posts' but maybe others here don't, and won't see posts on CT! unless they specifically go there.

The new posts icon displays on the BoardIndex whenever there are new posts on any of the boards - even the child boards. And it displays on the MessageIndex pages to show which child boards have new posts. So, even without using the Show Unread Posts Since Last Visit feature, everyone should be aware whenever anything new has been posted on any of the boards.  :)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 03:39:22 AM »
But, sorry, any sort of posting on Years 1, 2 and 3 has been completely suspended.

This is very disappointing.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 03:40:36 AM »
Change is good.  ;)  It stimulates neglected areas.  :D

And there's still Years 4 and 5/Movies...  And Years 1, 2, and 3 will return at some point... And until then, any caption that might be thought up for any of the screen captures posted on those three boards can easily be reworked as a set up for the Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board...

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 02:13:42 PM »
This is very disappointing.

I agree.  Fill in the blanks is fun, but Caption This left the creative possibilities wide open, you could come up with the most wacky, off the wall stuff your imagination could come up with.  Fill in the blanks is fairly limiting.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 03:14:24 PM »
The creative possibilities of the Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board can be just as wide open, wacky, and off the wall as posting captions on the Caption This! boards - except now one uses that part of their imagination to come up with the set ups.  ;)  As I've said, any caption that can be thought up for any screen capture on the Caption This! boards can easily be reworked to become a set up for Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s). And the game opens that process up to a much wider group of members to start topics because that aspect isn't limited to members who have the ability to create screen captures on their own - any member can use the thousands of existing captures on the Caption This! boards (or even the attached captures on the Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board if they think up a different set up than has already been posted  ;)). The only limit to set ups (within the rules, of course) is one's own imagination. And the really interesting thing is that one can see how others complete the phrase or fill in the blank(s) in ways that are often completely unexpected...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 04:37:28 PM »
Offering new options is always great; it's just the closing off of options that's a problem.     The Fill In the Blanks thing was a nice new variation on Caption This! but in the long run, I don't want to either have to just fill in two or three words in someone else's set-up, or else wite a set-up without a punchline.    It's a nice idea, as a change of pace, though.

Long story, but there's a kind of brain stimulation I get from CT! that helps me fight off neurological symptoms, where my brain function is going downhill.    In the West Wing (no, with Martin Sheen) the President staved off M.S. by playing chess.    With me it's CT.

I'll stop complaining at this point.  I don't want to appear rude or unappreciative of the board and its tireless moderators.   

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 05:17:33 PM »
I don't want to ... wite a set-up without a punchline.

Nothing stops anyone from responding with a punchline to their own set ups.  ;)  In that respect, Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) can be exactly like Caption This! - albeit stretched across two posts.  :D

Long story, but there's a kind of brain stimulation I get from CT! that helps me fight off neurological symptoms, where my brain function is going downhill.    In the West Wing (no, with Martin Sheen) the President staved off M.S. by playing chess.    With me it's CT.

It's probably a good thing, then, that you still have Years 4 and 5 to work with.  :)

I don't want to appear rude or unappreciative

You're not coming across as either.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 07:33:19 PM »
Well, it's also a new thing to figure out, so that will delay me.

It's probably a good thing, then, that you still have Years 4 and 5 to work with.

Now I have to convince people to think it's still a going concern.