Author Topic: A Fascination With Architecture Traced Back To DS  (Read 824 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
A Fascination With Architecture Traced Back To DS
« on: February 10, 2008, 06:48:50 PM »
I guess there are more of us out there than I might realize. Here's an article by Christie Bleck, yet another person whose love of architecture grew out of a love for DS: Bleck: Church's architecture intrigues

Photos of the Studebacker Mansion/Tippecanoe Place can be found here and here.

Several photos of Copshaholm can be found here (and I definitely agree that it's the spookier of the two). If only it wasn't in the Queen Anne Style (1880-1910), it could make for a great Collinwood (particularly the East, South and West views - though they'd definitely have to get rid of the air conditioners  :D). Although, the daytime series' Collinwood was certainly ahead of its time.  [b003]

And Mason First Presbyterian Church can be found here. (Though I have to say I prefer the other two.)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: A Fascination With Architecture Traced Back To DS
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 05:14:12 PM »
I'm only getting interested in architecture now, and I first watched DS on first airing.    We see some interior architecture, but see only the same couple of outside shots of the houses, which is disappointing.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: A Fascination With Architecture Traced Back To DS
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 09:33:33 PM »
Like the author of this article, I was lucky enough to grow up in a city that has a lot of interesting houses. And I would walk past many of them on my way home from school to watch DS. So, also like the author, I would compare what I was seeing in real life to the houses on DS. I'd compare the Greek Revivals to the Old House, and with other houses I'd pick up on how different aspects of them looked similar to some aspects of Collinwood. (And sometimes my friends and I would even take pictures of each other in front of those houses, pretending they and we were a part of DS - not that we were obsessed with DS or anything - or completely fearless when it came to trespassing (but, hey, it was the '60s and a much more innocent time - and all we ever did was take pictures).  [lghy]) And after I was lucky enough to actually find/visit Seaview Terrace in Newport in '69, my interest in the architecture of "Collinwood" only became stronger. But before long I wasn't necessarily just comparing the houses I saw to the ones on DS - I was appreciating and becoming fascinated with them just for their own unique qualities. My interest in architecture continued long past the time DS was canceled and absent from my life (nowadays it's actually hard to remember how dark those days were without DS in syndication or on VHS/DVD  :(), but it was definitely DS that got me started on what's turned out to be a life long interest in architecture.