Author Topic: Quoting Text - Help!  (Read 1505 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Quoting Text - Help!
« on: July 12, 2002, 03:22:44 AM »

Hola,

I hit the quote button in a post I wanted to reply to but when I posted my response, the quoted sentence didn't post with a gray box around it like I see in all the other posts that have quoted text. I remember reading something about that but when I went to the help page it just read to click on the quote button.

Help!
Dom

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Quoting Text - Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2002, 08:54:58 AM »
I hit the quote button in a post I wanted to reply to but when I posted my response, the quoted sentence didn't post with a gray box around it like I see in all the other posts that have quoted text. I remember reading something about that but when I went to the help page it just read to click on the quote button.

That's really all you have to do, Dom. But that will quote the entire text of a post. If you only want to reply to a certain part of a post (which is more likely) and you edit out the parts you don't want to reply to, make sure that what you're quoting is between the opening and closing quote "tags":

Code: [Select]
[quote] and [/quote]
For example, the code for what I quoted from your post looks like this:

[quote]I hit the quote button in a post I wanted to reply to but when I posted my response, the quoted sentence didn't post with a gray box around it like I see in all the other posts that have quoted text. I remember reading something about that but when I went to the help page it just read to click on the quote button.[/quote]
You don't have to worry about this part:

author=dom link=board=test;num=1026433364;start=0#0 date=07/12/02 at 00:22:44
because the system automatically adds that for you when you quote something.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, say I wanted to respond seperately to two different parts of your post. What I'd do is seperate your post into two different sections. The first might be:

[quote]I hit the quote button in a post I wanted to reply to but when I posted my response, the quoted sentence didn't post with a gray box around it like I see in all the other posts that have quoted text.[/quote]
Notice that I added the closing quote tag after the word "text". Then I'd add the opening quote tag before the rest of what you'd written, like this:

[quote]I remember reading something about that but when I went to the help page it just read to click on the quote button.[/quote]
So that my answer to your post might look like this:

I hit the quote button in a post I wanted to reply to but when I posted my response, the quoted sentence didn't post with a gray box around it like I see in all the other posts that have quoted text.

Dom, you have to make sure what you want to quote is placed between the opening quote tag:

[quote]
And the closing quote tag:

[/quote]
Like this:

[quote]Quoted text[/quote]

I remember reading something about that but when I went to the help page it just read to click on the quote button.

Yes, that's all you have to do, but you have to take out the parts of the post that you're not responding to yourself. But make sure you leave a closing quote tag:

[/quote]
at the end. ;)

I hope this helps and it hasn't actually ended up confusing you more. [winkg] But if you're still not quite sure what to do, just practice quoting some posts on this board and you should get the hang of it before long. :) And you don't even have to actually post them if you don't want to - just keep previewing what you're doing to see if you're getting it right or not. [winkb] And you can always post more questions. After all, that's what I'm here for. [wink2]

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2002, 09:04:59 AM »
That's what I do - preview any trials and then I don't post them!! :)

There's something about quoting I've been wondering about, so this seems to be a good time to ask.  I just hope I can explain it coherently!

If I'm quoting from one person's post, that's easy - I click "quote" on their post and then edit the parts I want the way you explained above.

If I want to add some quotes from a different post, it's possible to copy that text and put the quote codes around it.  But, then it won't have the text "So and so said."

I've seen some people post replies that include quotes from 2 or 3 others, and each is accompanied by the appropriate "So and so said" - and I can't imagine how that is possible.
Josette

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2002, 05:12:10 PM »

That's really all you have to do, Dom.

Thanks MB. Of course I erased/deleted EVERYTHING but the actual sentence I wanted to quote. I had a similar prob with the smileys. But I think I may have it licked! :P

Let's see,
Dom

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2002, 05:16:36 PM »

Hooray!

Good luck Josette! I am eagerly awaiting the answer to your question.

Dom

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2002, 07:07:09 PM »
If I want to add some quotes from a different post, it's possible to copy that text and put the quote codes around it.  But, then it won't have the text "So and so said."

I've seen some people post replies that include quotes from 2 or 3 others, and each is accompanied by the appropriate "So and so said" - and I can't imagine how that is possible.

I am eagerly awaiting the answer to your question.

I'm not going to pretend that getting the above is simple, but what I did was click "Quote" in Dom's post, copied what was in the reply window, returned to the topic and clicked "Quote" in Josette's post, then pasted Dom's part after Josette's in that final reply window.

But that really isn't necesary if all you want to do is attribute a 2nd quote to its author.  Once the response window is open, the entire topic displays underneath it (unless you use the Preview feature, which makes it disappear), so you can copy & paste the text of the 2nd message you're quoting while you're creating your message and insert the author's name before the 1st quote tag.  For example, I'll copy Dom's entire last message from below and will add the following:

Dom's[quote]Hooray!  

Dom[/quote]

and this is how it'll look when it's posted:

Dom's
Hooray!  

Dom

or even simpler, type this:

Dom wrote:
[quote]Hooray!

Good luck Josette!  I am eagerly awaiting the answer to your question.

Dom[/quote]

to get this:

Dom wrote:
Hooray!

Good luck Josette!  I am eagerly awaiting the answer to your question.

Dom

Ignore the word "code"; it's only used here to get the YaBB code to show up so you can see it.  And you don't have to put any spaces before and after the tags; I didn't, but the system added them anyway.

Did that help?

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2002, 09:27:57 AM »
I'm not sure until I try it.  I think you're saying that if one just puts the appropriate name before the quote codes that it will automatically "transform" it the way it's supposed to be.  I don't have time to experiment now.  I'll let you know how it comes out when I do it !!
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2002, 10:54:18 AM »
Thank you, Midnite! :) :)  I finally had a chance to play around with this (as I said, I use preview and then don't post the tests, so you can't see the results!!).

The second method is simpler and in most cases the person's name is sufficient.  However, I decided to try the first method, too, in order to get the "full attribution" and it's also pretty easy.

I really don't know if I'll have much occasion to use it, but it's nice to finally know how!!! :)
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2002, 09:39:09 PM »
Great!  I'm glad that was helpful.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator