Author Topic: Re: Automatically Inserting BBC Code Problem  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Automatically Inserting BBC Code Problem
« on: March 08, 2007, 07:35:42 AM »
attn midnite: why when i select "insert hyperlink" does my post disappear off the face of the earth?

Answering that question would probably be more of my responsibility.  ;)  Unfortunately, though, I have no idea why that's happening to you. I tested that BBC icon in IE6, Firefox, Netscape and Mozilla and it worked fine in all of them. However, are you possibly using IE7? If so, you may have discovered yet another problem with that version of IE.  :-

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 12:11:55 PM »
It is IE, Mysterious.  Whenever I try to use something like italics, or bold, a smiley face, or anything like that, the post just disappears.  Modern technology - feh.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 06:26:26 PM »
Well, possibly the upgrade to SMF1.2 *might* solve some of those problems for the people still using IE.  [idontknow]  I have a test copy of SMF 1.2 up and running on my computer's own server, but I've never upgraded any of my computers to IE7 - nor do I intend to so long as there are so many bugs in it, so I have no way to check. I suppose we'll all find out once the upgrade takes place for real. And *hopefully* that will happen before the end of the month...

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 06:51:21 PM »
I'm posting from IE 7, messing around with bold and inserting a hyperlink without any problems. Smileys seem to work too.  [gramophone] However, the posting page did load with errors according to IE 7. Here's what it claims is a problem:

Code: [Select]
Line: 164
Char: 9
Error: 'document.imgForm.imgText' is null or not an object
Code: 0
URL: http://www.dsboards.com/SMF/index.php?action=post;topic=10954.0;num_replies=3

And, yeah, I know that's not really code, but I didn't want it to hyperlink the url. ;)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 07:30:02 PM »
Hmmm - interesting. When I get a chance I'll have to see what line 164 of the generated HTML code says. There's no way for me to just check the PHP scripts because all the pages on the forum are generated dynamically by the system whenever someone accesses them.

The thing about the way the BBC icons work is that a Java script inserts them after the icon is clicked. However, Microsoft got into quite a bit of trouble not that long ago over having their own version of Java (what a shock that they would get into any sort of trouble, huh?  [wink2]) and they have since been told to cease and desist distributing that version and to stick to the standard version. That version was supposedly going to be distributed with IE7, but quite honestly I haven't paid much attention to that aspect of the IE7 distribution. (All I've really noticed are the myriads of articles detailing the complaints developers/users have about IE7.) And what I'm wondering is if Microsoft made it mandatory to install the standard version of Java as part of the IE7 upgrade, or if it was merely an option that many people might have simply ignored. The latter would be much more like Microsoft...