Author Topic: question about jerky navigation on this board  (Read 1123 times)

Offline scott

• View Profile
question about jerky navigation on this board
« on: September 20, 2006, 04:43:13 PM »
Hey kids.

I love these forums, but about 90% of the time it is so slow and the navigation so jerky I can't really read anything. In case I am not clear the scrolling hesitates and opening new areas takes forever. 10% of the time it is just fine--fast, smooth scrolling, etc.

I am on a fast line so....what's up?

If this has been covered before, I apologize.

Scott

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: question about jerky navigation on this board
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 08:05:47 PM »
Hmmm - I don't know what to say because everything seems to be working fine for me - but it's also been three hours since you posted, so whatever might have been happening could have straightened itself out.

One thing you can check when you seem to have problems is how long a page takes to create. The last line on every page of the forum says:

Page created in (whatever) seconds with (however many) queries.

The number of queries isn't really all that important because that's just how many times the database had to be contacted to gather info for the page, but the amount of seconds is significant because that's how long it took the forum's system to create the page. For example, when I opened your post it read:

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 22 queries.

The fractions of a second it takes to create any individual page will certainly vary depending on how much info has to be gathered from the database and how busy the database server might be at the time depending on how many people are on the forum as well as how much any of our host's other customers are also accessing the database server. But even when it comes to creating complicated pages, the norm is for them to be created in about 2 seconds or less (usually much less unless there are a lot of attached images to gather). And that's completely independent of whatever sort of connection a visitor to the forum might be using because it's strictly the time our host's server took to create the page.

When it comes to how long a page might take to display in a visitor's browser, though, that's entirely dependent on their connection and the Internet traffic between their computer and our host's server. And unfortunately, we have no control over that. In fact, pages have often displayed for me quicker on a dial-up connection than they have on a cable connection strictly due to the throughput issues or lack thereof involved at the time. Go figure.  :-  

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 04:39:36 AM »
I'll just randomly pipe in and say the forums load fine for me. However my parents are having the same problem on their computer, if you find out what causes it please drop me a note so I can fix their computer. I'm completely baffled! [5393]

Offline scott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 01:16:03 PM »
Thanks for reading and thinking about this problem. I will have to log in on another computer to see if it happens there too.

best,

Scott