Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1124  (Read 641 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1124
« on: January 07, 2011, 12:58:06 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1124
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 01:05:42 AM »
Desmond starts channeling Judah, Leticia without her Pansy accent swoons from all the evil, already.   Next scene, she's clearly recovered completely from all the evil, and has her Pansy accent.

Oh... Otis Green (Abe Vigoda) was Judah's executioner.   Did they change his story, or did I get it wrong before, when I thought the Head had made him kill four people?   Poor Otis, spent years in an asylum.   More anachronistic bongo music as things get worse for Otis.   That was a very nasty and shocking moment for him, seeing the Head.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 11:18:14 AM »
Oh, dear, we're back in the retreads.

We've got Leticia the Pansy prequel.  There is no reason for a dance hall mentalist with the surname of Faye to be in Collinsport in 1840.  It's a coincidence that, as far as I can remember, is never explained.  Did the writers think they had seen the gamut of what Nancy Barrett could do, so they'd better not ask her to try something new?  It's more likely, I suppose, that Dan Curtis told them, "Gimme more of that Pansy Faye or I'll fire you!"  But (I hasten to add) that's just speculation.

Then there's Lamar Trask looking for his father's body.  We've already opened up that brick wall.  It was fun, but once was enough.  We don't need to do it again.  I'd like to believe that when we open up the wall this time, the skeleton will be gone, causing Barnabas to frown fiercely and Julia to gasp, but I know it won't happen.  On Dark Shadows it's the coffins that are empty, not the walls.

We've got prequel Roxanne, with some slight interest generated as to how she gets from here to there, but "here" is less than riveting.  Considerably less.

I like Abe Vigoda, but somehow when I see him in this particular episode, all I can think is: "Yet another retread."

I will say, however, that John Karlen was marvelous today.

Oh, and one other thing: Why did the Bedford Atrocities happen in Bedford?  I thought all supernatural occurrences in Maine happened in Collinsport.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 03:31:56 PM »
Definate retreads. And that's what has kept me away. Thought I'd give it another shot, though. Some of the characters are fun - Flora, Gabriel, and John Karlen's always good.

What in the world has Barnabas got around his neck? He looks like a gift gone horribly wrong.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:45:21 PM »
Seeing Leticia flirt with Lamar and his reaction -

it's hard not to be reminded of how Jerry Lacy's Tony Peterson ate up every bit of Carolyn's flirting. But then Lamar is no Tony Peterson.  [wink2]

As for Leticia herself, I have no problem with her being somewhat of a retread. It was important that she be a mentalist/clairvoyant because that was further laying the groundwork for what the writers had in store for Carolyn had the show continued beyond 1841PT (and which had been quickly touched upon in Ep #1094). And the writers most probably didn't think of giving her the last name of Faye and a background in England as a retread - they probably simply saw it as an easy way to tie her to a mentalist/clairvoyant character we'd already seen before (even though it was in a storyline set in the future so far as 1840 is concerned) as a means of shorthand to help the audience quickly accept and to understand what sort of character Leticia was going to be. In general, all soaps do that sort of thing all the time. And specific to DS, it's been well established that history and circumstances often repeat themselves at Collinwood.