Author Topic: Clip of J.Depp on Letterman show 06-25-09  (Read 1546 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Clip of J.Depp on Letterman show 06-25-09
« on: June 26, 2009, 03:14:11 PM »
Thanks again to Madscntst for giving us the heads up on Depp's appearance on the David Letterman show last night. Here is a brief (incomplete) clip of the interview. I assume more of his interview will pop up. No reference was made to any of Depp's future projects during the entire interview last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwkS-ERuNuk

MirandaD

Re: Clip of J.Depp on Letterman show 06-25-09
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 05:19:50 PM »
Thanks for posting the clip, jimbo!  That is odd that Johnny doesn't watch his own films.  You'd think he'd get an emormous sense of satisfaction from seeing himself play Barnabas if that's something he's always wanted to do.   Frid used to watch himself on DS according to his letters to his mother, and I have an old picture of him intently watching in front of the TV!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 08:16:57 PM »
That was certainly some interview last night. It was fairly obvious that Depp doesn't really like to do talk shows that much. But then, he's hardly alone in that. Some actors just like their work to speak for itself - and Depp is obviously one of those actors.

It's too bad that someone hasn't posted the snorkeling and hot dogs bit - that was funny.  [ghost_grin]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 08:32:39 PM »
That was funny MB. You can find it here approximately at the 8:40 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVHtR90aBqE

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 11:23:42 PM »
That is odd that Johnny doesn't watch his own films. 

Yeah, for such an attractive guy, he has some insecurities, and he's long been known for sneaking out of premieres so he doesn't have to watch himself (he will attend them but usually doesn't stay for the film itself).  In one case, I think he was either talking about Benny & Joon or What's Eating Gilbert Grape (I forget which, but they were both from around the same time ~ '93) that he looked up at the screen and all he could see was his "enormous nose" (at least he thought so-- he's crazy, of course!), and he felt sick.  Weird, but since I myself couldn't stand hearing the sound of my own voice for a long time, I can kind of understand the feeling.

I thought the interview was very sweet, if maybe not the best he's done.  As MB says, he's kind of quiet and doesn't really feel comfortable being interviewed, so this is about the best we can ever expect.  I would've preferred a little less time talking about the island and the yacht (really, do I need to be reminded of how jealous I am of this lifestyle?  [ghost_wink] ) and more about his future plans, but what can ya do? 

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 12:11:41 AM »
Forgive the intrusion of the non-Depp content here, but reading this thread, I'm reminded of a fan questionnaire submitted to Grayson in which she was asked:  "What did you think the first time you saw yourself on screen?"  Her response was:  "I threw up!"

It was something she had in common with her friend Elizabeth Taylor, who notoriously threw up in her London hotel room after attending the Cleopatra premiere in '63.

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 01:40:11 AM »
Depp did appear to be uncomfortable during the interview but I thought he did a great job responding to Letterman's questions. Letterman seemed to truly be fascinated by Depp and was very focused with his questions unlike his opening monologue where Letterman was way off his game. Wonder if JD will watch his Barnabas portrayal. Probably not. Interesting Gothick about Grayson and Taylor also not enjoying watching their performances. Johnny is in good company.

MirandaD I think that is great that you have a picture of Frid watching his performance of Barnabas on TV.

Offline mspeel007

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 07:57:30 AM »
Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh......JOHNNY!!!!!!!! [love7]
And in the end...the love you take..is equal to the love you make.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 11:19:48 PM »
Interesting Gothick about Grayson and Taylor also not enjoying watching their performances. Johnny is in good company.

Yes, very good company.  Another one who HATED seeing himself on film was Spencer Tracy.

Jeannie the huge Spencer Tracy fan

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics