Author Topic: OT - To All the Groovy Guys and Gals of the 70¢â‚¬â„¢s ....  (Read 2020 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
...and those who just enjoy making fun of their incestors, err ancestors, I give you¢â‚¬¦three photos from my 70's archives.

As I was digging through a box of cookbooks today, I found a dusty old album of photos taken back in the Spring of 1973 during my grandparents 50th Anniversary.  A couple of years beyond DS - but the feeling of the era is still very much there.

(This post was inspired by Gothick's earlier "DS and Sixties Styles" Thread)
[/font]

“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
"I could have smuggled two litters of kittens under those bells!"

OMG - the "elephant" bell bottoms! My high school French teacher used to wear those all the time and I always wondered how she managed to avoid tripping up on them and falling flat on her face.  [lghy]

And your mom's dress is actually quite conservative compared to the gown my mom wore to my high school graduation. If I can dig up a decent photo, I'll post it.  ;)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood

Love the pics CastleBee! Thanks for sharing them. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
I had a POW bracelet too.  Maybe I'll post that one for you.  I was 15 years old.    You'll get a kick out of it.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
And your mom's dress is actually quite conservative compared to the gown my mom wore to my high school graduation. If I can dig up a decent photo, I'll post it.  ;)

A gown? Must have been some school, Pepe.

My daughter's graduation from High School is this Saturday.  I'll be wearing white jeans and a blue T shirt.  My kid had better be wearing the cap and gown;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

A gown? Must have been some school, Pepe.

How quickly you forget:

...I went to a prep high school ... we graduated in white dinner jackets and black tuxedo pants instead of caps and gowns. ...

And if you're really lucky, maybe I can dig up a photo of both me and my mom.  [b003]

My daughter's graduation from High School is this Saturday.  I'll be wearing white jeans and a blue T shirt.  My kid had better be wearing the cap and gown.

Just goes to show how times have really changed since '74. I seriously doubt any mom would be wearing a gown to a graduation nowadays, but back then they were definitely in style. My mom had a closet full of them for various weddings and parties - and almost without exception the newest one was more outrageous than the last.  ;D

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Now, that is a blast from the past!  Did we all really use to dress like that?  Back then, I thought it was so modern, and that nothing could ever replace the "stylishness" of it.  Remember jeans jackets?  They were just so cool.  I wore several out.

Gerard

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Remember jeans jackets?  They were just so cool.  I wore several out.

Oh, yes I had to have a jeans jacket - they were great.  I also sewed patches on my jeans with radical sayings.  My favorite said, "Custer Had it Coming".
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
I had a POW bracelet too.  Maybe I'll post that one for you.  I was 15 years old.    You'll get a kick out of it.

Did anyone else ever  find out what happened to their bracelet POW?  Mine didn't appear on any of the big lists when they were first released.  I saw a tiny article about him giving a speech at some school about  6 months later, so I was relieved he was apparently OK.  Then flash forward 30 years, and I found the bracelet in a drawer, so I looked him up on the Web, and wouldn't you know, he has his own website, with the story of his ordeal.  Still married to the same true-blue wife, just had one son, and is now a grandfather, and a successful businessman to boot.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Did anyone else ever  find out what happened to their bracelet POW?

Great story about your POW guy - I'm glad to hear of a happy ending regarding one of guys listed on the bracelets.  A few years ago I registered my bracelet on a web site.  Time passed and I pretty much forgot about it (can't even remember the URL of the site now) and then about 2-3 weeks ago I got an email from someone who had been to the site looking for the same guy.  She had somehow misunderstood and thought that I was one of his family members and was writing to ask me what I wanted her to do with the bracelet.  I really should give it another try I suppose.

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
I had got my bracelet when I was 15.  Never took it off.  Then he came home from Viet Nam, I took it off, laid it on the diningroom table and when on my mary way.

It's now 31 years later.  My mother calls me.  We're chatting and then she says "Do you remember that POW bracelet that you used to wear all the time?"  I had to think and then all at once it came back.
"Oh yeah, I remember that"

"Well, I had found it last week.  Up in the attic, in a box.  Do you want it?"

Do I want it?  That's part of my childhood.  All I said to my mother was "I sure do"

So, I'm going up there next month and me and POW bracelet will be reunited.

And I'm glad.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.