Author Topic: #0105/0106: Robservations 08/03/01: Caught Pen in Hand!  (Read 1306 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0105/0106: Robservations 08/03/01: Caught Pen in Hand!
« on: August 02, 2001, 07:23:47 PM »
Episode #105 - Ever since I arrived at Collinwood, this gloomy old mansion on the crest of Widows' Hill has held nameless fears for me--most of it stemming from the time I saw a dead man washed up at the foot of the cliff--a case that has been declared an accident--but still has not been marked closed by the sheriff.

In his office, Sheriff Patterson examines Bill Malloy's autopsy report (#220612). Burke comes in and smiles at him. It's an unusual hour to be paying a call, says Patterson. I'm not paying a social visit, says Burke, I'm here on business--your business. It's right neighborly of you to take such an interest in my work, remarks Patterson. Look, says Burke, I don't care who says the Malloy case is over and done with--you're going to re-open it. Afraid I can't oblige you there, Burke, says Patterson. Why not? asks Burke. Before something can be re-opened, it has to be closed, doesn't it? asks Patterson, holding the Malloy file open in his hands. Burke grins. Why, sheriff, you restore my faith in justice, after all, he says. I don't want to destroy your illusions about the inefficiencies of a small-town police department, says Patterson, putting one leg up on the desk--but you forgot one thing--I'm a native in this town, same as you--I knew everybody connected with this case, and most of all, I knew Bill Malloy. So did I, says Burke, and all the evidence in the world won't convince me he died the way the coroner said he did. Burke takes a seat across from the sheriff, who explains that this is a small town, everybody knows everybody else--a case like this one drags on and on, and finally you get a verdict of killed by person or persons unknown--what happens?--I'll tell you--people look at each other with suspicion in their hearts--and I don't want that to happen--so, we bring in a verdict that allows everyone to breathe a little easier, and meanwhile, I go on looking for evidence in my own plodding way. A giant grin splits Burke's face--all right, George, he says, I own you an apology--but I think you owe me one, too--I found someone who has concrete evidence to offer--Vicki Winters. The young governess up at Collinwood--what does she know about it? asks Patterson. I want you to ask her that tonight, says Burke. It's a little late to be paying a call up there at night, says Patterson, are you sure she knows anything? She knows enough that a half hour ago, someone tried to kill her, says Burke. Patterson looks at him, closing the file and sitting up straight.

You say that someone tried to kill Miss Winters? asks George--anyone I might know? She doesn't have any idea who it is, says Burke, but I do. You--I suppose that brings us back to the question of Roger Collins then, doesn't it? asks Patterson. Who else? asks Burke--yesterday Vicki told me she had evidence that pointed directly at Roger. She told you about it? asks Patterson--hasn't she ever heard of the sheriff's office? As you say, this is a small town outfit, says Burke--she doesn't know anything about that, she was brought up in New York--she doesn't understand your subtlety--she thinks when you say you're not interested in a case, that's what you mean. They laugh together. All right, says Patterson, I suppose I deserve that one--suppose you tell me what happened to Miss Winters. Last night, says Burke, she went to bed and locked the door; a little while later, she heard a creaking sound--someone was pushing her door open. This locked door was being pushed open? questions Patterson. Yes, whoever it was obviously had a duplicate key. That sounds logical, remarks George--was she injured? No, she screamed and frightened whoever it was away, says Burke.. I don't suppose she could identify the person, says Patterson. If she did, I wouldn't be here, Burke assures him--I'd be after that guy. Did she actually see anyone at all? asks Patterson. She saw a figure, nothing more, says Burke, but that means it wasn't the wind--it was a person! Patterson rises and asks if there were any signs of anyone breaking into the house? No, says Burke. It couldn't have been the kid, could it? asks Patterson. No, says Burke, the figure she saw was taller than David, Carolyn, even Mrs. Stoddard. Which pinpoints it pretty clearly on Roger Collins, doesn't it? asks Patterson. Can you think of anyone else? asks Burke. No, I can't, says Patterson, pouring coffee--not right off, anyway.

Liz sits on the bench in the foyer, stitching needlepoint. Roger comes in. Where have you been? she asks sourly. It's been a long time since you've waited up for me, he remarks. That doesn't answer my question, she says. I took a drive up the coast, he says, no particular destination. Where were you about half an hour ago? she asks. I think I was about half an hour's drive from home, why? he asks, sitting beside her. You didn't run into Vicki, did you? asks Liz--I mean that figuratively, of course. (LOL!) No, says Roger, what do you mean, figuratively? She was almost run over, reveals Liz--she was walking home from Collinwood (port) and was almost killed. Is she all right? asks Roger, sincerely, concerned. She was hysterical, says Liz, I gave her a sedative and sent her to bed. Roger stands, asking, was she serious about someone deliberately trying...? Roger, interrupts Liz, I think someone is trying to harm her--I wonder who it could be? she asks significantly. I wonder where Sam Evans was this evening? muses Roger, heading into the drawing room. Liz watches him sharply.

Let's get one thing straight, says the sheriff, handing Burke a cup of coffee, you'd still like to think anything bad about Roger Collins you can, wouldn't you--I don't think he's the kind of person to try anything on Vicki right there at Collinwood when he's the only tall figure around there. He didn't know she would wake up, says Burke--maybe he intended for her not to wake up at all, ever. That's a pretty serious accusation, says Patterson. Yes it is, agrees Burke--and what would you say to another attempt, on a lonely road, about half a mile from Collinwood--a car drove straight at her, no witnesses, and if she hadn't jumped in tome, she would have been killed! Reckless driving, suggests Patterson. Deliberately driving over to the wrong side of the road? asks Burke. Who knew she was going to be walking home tonight? asks Patterson. That's what I want you to find out, says Burke. Don't you think she'd be a bit more likely to tell you that than me? asks Patterson. No, says Burke, Vicki is very upset--she knows something that not only pinpoints Roger, but could convict him of Malloy's murder--now isn't that reason enough for him to want to keep her quiet, even if he has to kill her to do it? What is it that she knows? asks Patterson. It's circumstantial, says Burke reluctantly. Not good enough, says Patterson. I know I can trust you to do the right thing, says Roger, and I want you to trust me--I have a plan to bring some real evidence out in the open--it won't be hearsay--all I want you to do is play along with me. How long do we have to play this game? asks Patterson. Not long, promises Burke--it could happen tonight. At Collinwood? asks Patterson. That's where I think the answer is, replies Burke. And who is supposed to present you with this evidence? Asks Patterson.
Roger Collins, says Burke. All right, says Patterson, let's go. He heads eagerly for the door, and waits for Burke, who precedes him out.

Roger drinks. Why did you ask about Sam Evans? Liz asks him. He's the only one I can think of who might possibly know more about Vicky than we do, he says. What could he possibly know about her? asks Liz. I haven't got the faintest idea, says Roger--don't you think it odd that he made a present of a portrait that he worked on years ago that bears a striking resemblance to her?
There might be a superficial resemblance, nothing more, says Liz. What I'm trying to say is, whoever is trying to scare her, says Roger, or do away with her, has some connection with her past. Are you thinking of Sam Evans, says Liz, your theory is wrong. (Not Vicki's Daddy?) It isn't even a theory, says Roger, just idle speculation. Sam Evans couldn't have been the one who tried to get into her room last night, says Liz. I suppose not, agrees Roger--still, we have absolutely no tangible proof that anyone DID try. I have her word for it, says Liz, that's proof enough for me. There wasn't even a sign that anyone was in the hallway, argues Roger, and the door to the closed off section of the house was locked! There's one other possibility, says Liz--when the ghost of Bill Malloy appeared to Vicki, that door was locked also. That was nothing more than a hallucination and you know it, insists Roger. That seaweed we found on the floor wasn't any hallucination, we both saw it, says Liz. They hear a car drive up, and Liz goes to the window to see who it is. It's the sheriff's car, says Liz, would you open the door for him. Roger, looking like he's walking to an execution, hesitates as the sheriff bangs at the door.

Roger sets his booze glass down on the foyer table and opens the door to Patterson. Well, he quips, the good Sheriff of Nottingham--to what do we owe this--Burke appears next to the sheriff--oh, I was about to say to what do we owe this pleasure, but I withdraw the question. May we come in, says Patterson? You're always welcome, George, Liz assures him, but I'm quite sure Burke knows what I feel about him. I would appreciate it if you'd ask us in just the same, says the sheriff. Very well, says Liz, and leads Patterson into the drawing room. Burke and Roger exchange glances as Burke follows. Roger asks if he can offer George a drink--or is he on official duty? I'm afraid this has to be classified as duty, says Patterson, thanks just the same. I'll save you the trouble of deciding whether or not to offer me one or not, says Burke--I don't want a drink--I want to see Vicki Winters. I'm afraid that's impossible, says Liz. What do you mean?--I talked to her not half an hour ago, says Burke. When she came in, she wasn't in fit condition to talk to anybody, insists Liz, I gave her a sedative and sent her to bed--I don't think she should be awakened. What's the matter with her? asks Patterson. She was hysterical, says Liz. Do you have any idea what caused it? asks the sheriff. She said she was almost run over by a careless driver, says Liz. She told me on the phone someone tried to kill her, says Burke. Nonsense, pronounces Roger. Is it also nonsense that someone tried to break into her locked bedroom last night? Burke demands of Roger. That did happen, didn't it? asks Patterson. I don't know whether it did or not, says Roger, she could have dreamed the whole thing. Was Miss Winters in the habit of having bad dreams like that? asks Patterson. She's normally a perfectly well-adjusted girl, says Liz. Do you believe in ghosts? Roger asks Patterson. Can't say that I do, replies the latter. Miss Winters does, says Roger--she believes in a great deal of things other people don't--she hears things and sees things that other people don't hear and see. What about the pen she found? asks Burke. The pen, what pen? asks Roger. Listen carefully, says Burke, I'm glad you're here, Mrs. Stoddard, I'll only have to say it once--I gave Carolyn a silver filigreed fountain pen--Roger objected to her receiving a gift from me and took it away from her and was going to give it back to me--he had it in his pocket--he said he drove from here that night to the meeting between Malloy, San Evans and myself--somewhere along the way, he lost it--Vicki found it--at the exact spot where Bill Malloy was killed. Is that true? asks Liz. I took the pen back from Carolyn to return to Burke, says Roger, and I lost it--but I have no idea where I lost it or who found it. Vicki found it and you know it! says Burke. Yes, but someone else might have found it before Vicki and then lost it again, points out Roger. Who? demands Burke--who lost it at Lookout Point? The obvious person would be Bill Malloy, says Roger, he could have found it here at the house and carried it with him home, then lost it when he slipped and fell to his death. That is a possibility, says Patterson. It's also a possibility that Roger lost the pen at Lookout Point, says Burke, then he killed him to keep him from going to that meeting. I won't tolerate this in my house! says Liz. You'll have to tolerate it, says Burke, unless you'd like to come down to the sheriff's office. Is that what you intend to do? asks Liz--take me to the office and question me? No, says Patterson, it isn't--that wasn't what I had in mind at all. Do you deny that you told Vicki you lost the pen there? Burke asks Roger--that you made up some fantastic story about meeting Malloy, then discovering his body there?--do you deny that then you went on to the meeting and let on that you knew nothing about Bill Malloy's death? Roger smirks. Is that what she told you? asks Roger. Is that true?--is that what you told Vicki? asks Liz. Poor Miss Winters, her delusions seem to grow more and more outrageous, says Roger, of course I deny it, I said no such thing--it would be tantamount to admitting complicity in Malloy's death. (Damn straight, and you did!) It doesn't sound too good, I'll say that, agrees Patterson--I believe we have something in our statutes about accessory after the fact. That's the story you told Vicki to keep her quiet about the pen, says Burke--but that's not what really happened, is it? Of course it's not! says Roger, nothing of the sort happened--except in the girl's imagination. You're right, says Burke--Malloy wasn't dead when you got there--he wasn't dead until after you left him there. There isn't one shred of truth in anything he's saying! cries Liz--and you know it as well as I do--now either order him out of this house or take him with you when you go, right now! Burke stands behind Roger, his eyes boring into the back of the other man's head. I had to come up here to find out about Miss Winters, says Patterson apologetically. May I have a look at the pen? says Roger, I'd at least like to make sure we're talking about the same pen. You knew that was a safe question, says Burke, since you stole it from Vicki. I did? asks Roger--oh, I was under the impression that ghosts or unseen widows took it. Is that what Miss Winters thinks? asks Patterson. I told you the poor girl thinks extremely odd things, says Roger--it's quite possible that I lost a pen, and quite possible Vicki found one--but how do we know it's one and the same--I suggest Mr. Devlin produces a pen that both Vicki and Carolyn can identify. Then you'd think we'd have something to talk about, is that it? asks Burke. Isn't that a reasonable request? asks Roger. I suppose so, says Burke. Very well, says Liz, when you find the pen you can bring it here, but you can't come before.
You certainly do make things simpler for me, says Burke, smiling--and reaches into his pocket to produce the matching pen--is this the pen? He asks, holding it up before Roger.

Is this the pen you're talking about? asks Burke. Where did you get it, says Roger, looking pale. I don't think that matters, says Burke. Is that the pen you lost? asks Liz. It couldn't be, insists Roger. (Because you buried it.) Why? asks Burke. I mean, it certainly resembles it, fumbles Roger, no I don't think it could be the same pen--I didn't look at it that closely, I certainly couldn't remember every single detail of a pen. Why not? asks Burke, you had plenty of time to look at it when you took it from Carolyn--when you STOLE it from Vicki. Roger asks to see it, and Burke hands it to him--no, I don't think this is the pen at all, says Roger, it's true, the resemblance was merely superficial. May I have the pen back, please? asks Burke, taking it back--I'm sure Carolyn's memory will be better than yours, I know Vicki's will. Liz, who has been staring at her brother all this time, insists that they won't disturb either girl now. That won't be necessary, agrees Patterson, but I'd appreciate it if both of them would come to my office first thing tomorrow, I'd like to see if they can make a positive identification. What good would that do? demands Roger--there must be thousands of pens like that! Not in this country, says Burke, this is the only one of its kind. Would you see to it that your daughter and Miss Winters come down to my office first thing tomorrow? Patterson asks Liz. Of course, she promises. I apologize for coming up to Collinwood at this late hour, says Patterson, but you understand how it is. Certainly, says Liz. Patterson says good night, as does Burke, who bids Roger pleasant dreams. After they've gone, Liz gazes at her brother. We see Patterson's car, light flashing on top, leaving the front door of Collinwood. Would you care to explain? Liz asks Roger sternly. No I wouldn't, he says. He goes to open the window and looks out. Why didn't you tell me about the fountain pen? Asks Liz. There was nothing to tell! says Roger--I didn't want Carolyn accepting gifts from Burke, and I told her so. Remember one thing, says Liz, before Carolyn and Vicki go to the sheriff's tomorrow, I'd going to ask some questions of my own. You won't learn one single word of truth that you haven't already, insists Roger. Carolyn won't lie to me, says Liz. Of course not, says Roger, and I'm sure Vicki wouldn't intentionally lie--it's just that she's built up this whole thing in her mind beyond all recognizable proportion! The sheriff seems to attach a great deal if importance to it. For heavens sake, leave me alone, I have to think, says Roger. You don't have to think up anymore lies, says Liz--I want the truth! They've gone, says Roger, closing the window. They'll come back, she says, you can't keep avoiding the issue. I'm not avoiding anything! says Roger--there's something I have to do right away. Roger? she asks.
He goes outside and down the stairs, then into the woods, where he lifts up the rock under which he'd hidden the pen and begins to dig with a small shovel. He digs, sifting frantically through earth, and finally finds the fountain pen he'd buried. Thanks, Roger, says Burke standing behind him--you've saved us a great deal of trouble--well? he asks the sheriff triumphantly, how's that for concrete evidence?
Roger stands up. Burke takes the pen from him.

NOTES: Does this mean Roger is to be arrested for Malloy's murder? He foolishly unearthed the link between Malloy's murder and himself, and whether he's guilty or innocent, he looks the former. I guess seeing the duplicate pen made him think the one he'd buried had been dug up, but he felt compelled to make sure.

Interesting that, despite the coroner's verdict, Patterson was still working on the Malloy case. He sure seemed annoyed with Burke's insistence that it was murder, and not inclined to tell him he still considered the case unclosed. I guess he had his doubts about the coroner's findings, too, knowing all the participants involved.

Roger continues to lie and lie and lie. He told Vicki the truth, why couldn't he tell the sheriff the truth? Any evidence linking him to the murder is circumstantial--but he managed to manipulate Burke's manslaughter trial so that Devlin was convicted of something he did, so perhaps he figures the law isn't trustworthy enough to accept his version of what happened.

Episode #106 - When I came to Collinwood, months ago, I never dreamed a member of the Collins family would be suspected of murder--or that I would have to testify against him.

Vicki appears at the sheriff's office, surprised to find Richard Garner waiting there with Patterson. Didn't Mrs. Stoddard tell you I'd be here? asks Garner. No, says Vicki, I didn't have a chance to say more than 10 words to her this morning--when I got up, she was talking to Carolyn and then the sheriff called and asked me to come down here. I'm acting as legal counsel for Roger, says Garner. I see, says Vicki. Sit down, says Patterson, I just want to ask you a few questions--Mr. Garner, would you mind waiting outside? It's my right as representative of my client to be present at the questioning, Garner says. All right, you can stay and hear what Miss Winters has to say, but I'm handling the questioning, warns Patterson. I understand that, says Garner. Where is Roger? asks Vicki. We're holding him, says Patterson. Has he made a statement? asks Vicki. No, he's refused to say anything, says Patterson, until Mr. Garner got here. What's going to happen? asks Vicki. I'm not in a position to say that, says Patterson, yet. You don't know? asks Vicki. No, says Patterson, right now I don't know anything, I'm just here to ask questions and you're here to answer them--what happens will depend upon your answers. Vicki and Garner exchange concerned glances.

You almost make me feel responsible for Roger, says Vicki. Your only responsibility right now is to tell me the truth, says Patterson. Garner takes a chair and sits beside Vicki. I'll do the best I can, she assures him. Good, he says--then holds out the pen--can you identify this? he asks. Yes, she says. When have you known it before? he asks. I found it on the beach at Lookout Point, she says, near the place where Mr. Malloy was killed. When did you find it? asks Patterson. A few days after he died, she replies. How many days? Asks Patterson. I'm not sure--two or three days? She says. In other words, says Garner, assuming my client had possession of the pen and dropped it on the beach, he could have dropped it any time during within the two or three day interval after Mr. Malloy died. I'm aware of that, says Patterson--would you let me handle the questioning, please? I'm sorry, says Garner. All right, says Patterson, you found the pen, then what happened? I took it back to Collinwood with me, she says. Did you find any special significance to the pen, he asks. No, she says, I thought it was pretty and it did look valuable. How long did you have the pen in your possession? asks Patterson. About a day, then it disappeared, she explains--I'd left it on the desk in David's room, and when I went back to get it, it was gone. Who else was in the house when the pen disappeared? asks the sheriff. Beside myself, says Vicki, there was Roger and David Collins--I thought David had taken it. Did Roger see the pen before it disappeared? asks Patterson. Garner interrupts--just a minute, he says, but Patterson tells Vicki to just answer the question. Yes, several times, says Vicki. Did he ever try to get the pen away from you? asks Patterson. No, says Vicki, looking at Garner--but he wouldn't have done that, because it would have looked strange. That's assuming my client is guilty and that's an unfair assumption, says Garner. I'm not assuming anything, but I am going to assume you right out of this office if can't keep quiet, cautions the sheriff. All right, says Garner. When did you realize the significance of this pen? asks Patterson. When I saw one exactly like it, in a hotel in Bangor, she says--it belonged to a Mr. Blair--he told me that Burke Devlin had given it to him and that Burke had a duplicate--I thought... You thought Burke dropped the pen on the beach? Finishes Patterson--at Lookout Point, the night Malloy was killed. I was afraid of him for a while, admits Vicki. When did you stop being afraid of him? queries the sheriff. When I found out what really happened, says Vicki, responding as much to Garner as to Patterson--Burke gave the pen to Carolyn, and Roger took it from her and lost it the night Bill Malloy died--Carolyn can tell you this. She'll have an opportunity to tell me, says Patterson, I've already phoned Collinwood and she's on her way down here now--what happened next? Roger found out that I knew about the pen, explains Vicki, Carolyn told him--then he came to me and told me his version of what happened that night--that he had been at Lookout Point that night, but had nothing to do with Bill Malloy's death--he said that when he got there, he saw Mr. Malloy, but he was already dead. Did you believe him? asks Patterson. I wanted to believe him, says Vicki, I didn't know what I believed until...things started happening to me--first of all, someone tried to get into my room in the middle of the night. Who? he asks. I don't know, she says, I remember being woken up in the middle of the night hearing footsteps outside in the hall--they stopped outside my door, then my door started to open--I had locked that door! You're positive of that? he asks. Yes I am, she says, I remember locking it--I was terrified. Then whoever it was trying to get into your room must have had a key, says Patterson. I suppose so, she says, locked doors do not open by themselves. What happened next? asks Patterson. I screamed, she says, and I heard the footsteps turn and run away--then Roger came in. What did he say to you? asks Patterson. When I told him what happened, says Vicki, turning to look at Garner again, he said that I was crazy--that no one would want to get into my room and I must have imagined the whole thing. Isn't it possible that you dreamed it all? asks Garner. No, it's not possible! cries Vicki, upset, someone tried to get into my room, I know that--and someone also tried to run me down on the road to Collinsport, I know that, too! All right, says Patterson, please try to calm down--Mr. Garner, I have warned you about interrupting for the last time! All right, says Garner. He stands and goes to look out the window. Tell me what happened last night, Patterson asks Vicki. I was walking back from Collinsport about eight o'clock, she says, and suddenly, a car appeared--it headed straight for me, tried to run me down. Did you get a glimpse of the car at all? asks Patterson. No, she says, I couldn't see anything because of the headlights. And then you ran back to Collin(s)wood, says Patterson. Yes, she says, I phoned Burke--you know the rest. And you place this incident about 8 o'clock, is that right? asks Patterson. Yes, she says. And you're sure of that? he asks. Quite sure, she says--I left Collinsport about half past seven--it's a good half hour walk back to the house. What were you doing on the road to Collinsport alone at eight o'clock at night? asks Patterson. I'd come from the Blue Whale, says Vicki, I'd spoken to Sam Evans earlier in the day, and he asked me to meet him there, he said it was urgent. What did Sam Evans have on his mind? asks Patterson. He wanted to ask me some questions, says Vicki, about Bill Malloy's death--I couldn't see what he was getting at, except when I wasn't able to answer his questions, he became upset--no, he was more than upset--he was angry. Why should he want to ask you questions about Bill Malloy? asks Patterson. I don't know, says Vicki. The sheriff thanks her and says that's all he wants to ask her--does she have anything to tell him? no, says Vicki. Garner asks Patterson if he minds if he asks Vicki a few questions. Go ahead, invites Patterson. Garner sits on the desk and looks Vicki in the eyes. You say that you didn't see this car that tried to run you down? he asks. No, she says. And you say you didn't see the person who supposedly tried to break into your bedroom? He asks. I told you I didn't, she says. Then you have no real proof that these alleged attempts on your life were made by Roger Collins? he asks.
Someone tried to kill me, insists Vicki, and if it wasn't Roger, who was it?

I may have to call you back later in the day for a formal statement, Patterson tells Vicki. I understand, she says. I have no more questions, so you can go if you want, he says. Thank you, she says, and gets up to leave. Garner asks if he might have a word with her. I know that roger Collins is your client, she begins. Garner says he isn't going to mention Roger, but to tell her that his son is coming down later in the day. Frank? Asks Vicki joyfully. Yes, he's assisting me on the case and told me he wants to see you, says Garner. Has he found out anymore about Betty Hanscomb? Asks Vicki. I don't know, he didn't tell me, he simply said he was coming down and looking forward to seeing you. I'm looking forward to seeing him, too, says Vicki--I want to thank you again for seeing me when... Patterson receives word that Carolyn has arrived. She enters the office, her voice full of tears, and asks Vicki what's going on. Didn't your mother tell you? asks Vicki. She told me that Uncle Roger was being held in connection with Bill Malloy's death, says Carolyn--why?--didn't the coroner decide that was an accident? Yes, says Vicki--look, I'll explain it to you later. You don't have anything to worry about, Garner assures Carolyn. Did Uncle Roger call you? asks Carolyn. Yes, he says, I'm handling everything. I'll see you later, says Vicki, but Carolyn begs her not to go--wait for me, I want to talk to you. Vicki agrees to wait outside. Garner leads Carolyn into the main office, where Patterson asks her to sit down. What is all this? she asks the sheriff, still standing--why are you hounding my Uncle Roger? Nobody is hounding your Uncle Roger, he says, would you please explain what's going on? Patterson tells Garner. Sheriff Patterson wants to ask you a few questions, the lawyer says, just answer to the best of your ability. What questions? demands Carolyn. Patterson holds up the pen and asks if she's ever seen it before. She takes it in her hand and asks where he found it. Just answer the question, he says. Yes, that's my pen! She says--or it was until it got lost. Who gave it to you? he asks. Burke Devlin, she replies. And you say you lost it? asks Patterson. Uncle Roger lost it, she says. What was the pen doing in your Uncle Roger's possession. He took it away from me, she says, sniffing, he said I shouldn't accept presents from Burke Devlin, so he took the pen from me to return it to Burke. But he never did return it to Burke, did he, because he lost it, says Patterson. That's right, agrees Carolyn. When did he lose it? asks Patterson. On the night...Carolyn stops, unable to continue for the tears welling in her throat--on the night Bill Malloy died, she finishes--why? Are you sure it was that night? he asks. Why? she cries, why?--what's all this business about my pen--did someone find it? Yes, Miss Winters found it, says Patterson, on the beach at Lookout Point. Carolyn repeats this and says, "You think my Uncle Roger lost it there--you think he killed Bill Malloy." Her voice rises with anger, and Garner pays close attention. I don't think anything, Patterson assures her, I'm just trying to collect information. Did Vicki come to you with this wild story? asks Carolyn. She didn't come to me with a wild story, she came to me with what she knew, says Patterson. She doesn't KNOW Uncle Roger killed Bill Malloy or anyone else! insists Carolyn. And she didn't say that he did, says Patterson. She must have implied it! wails Carolyn, or why are you holding Uncle Roger? We're only holding him for questioning, so far, says Patterson. That must have been because of what Vicki told you, says Carolyn--she must have a grudge against Uncle Roger--she has no reason to say Uncle Roger or anybody else killed Bill Malloy! She has a very good reason--someone tried to kill her last night, he says--someone tried to run her down on the road from Collinsport. What? she asks, stunned. Do you know where your Uncle Roger was at 8 o'clock last night? asks Patterson. Carolyn shakes her head and says a tearful no--I was out. I'm sorry, says Patterson, patting her shoulder, there are no more questions. Carolyn, crying, tells him he can't believe Roger tried to hurt Vicki--you can't, it's not possible!--tell him, Mr. Garner, she begs the lawyer, do something.
You don't have to worry, Garner says, sitting her in the chair, I'm here to protect your uncle. I don't believe any of this, sobs Carolyn, I don't believe what's going on! Garner comforts her and Patterson calls the outside office and asks that Vicki be sent back in. We're going to take care of everything, it's all right, says Garner, his arms around Carolyn. Vicki comes in, and Patterson asks her to take Carolyn home--and Miss Winters, he says--will you stay in the house and try not to be alone until we get this thing cleared up. Vicki nods. Carolyn stands and begs Vicki to tell them that Uncle Roger wouldn't try to hurt her--tell them. Let's go, says Vicki. Why won't you tell them? asks Carolyn, shaking her head--why? Come on, coaxes Carolyn, and the two women leave the sheriff's office. Patterson calls to have Roger brought in. Garner looks perturbed indeed.

Garner sits looking out the fenced window. When Roger enters, he says, "Garner, thank God you're here." He shakes Roger's hand, assuring him he got here as soon as he could. I hope you're prepared to sue for false arrest, says Roger, because that's what I intend to do the moment I get out of here--did you hear that, Sheriff? He asks Patterson. I hear you, says Patterson, you're coming in loud and clear. I'm perfectly serious, says Roger, this little escapade is going to cost you your badge! As long as I still have it, says Patterson, I'm entitled to ask you all the questions I want to--and you'd better be prepared to give the right answers. I'm prepared to answer any questions you have to ask me, insists Roger. All right--why did you bury that pen? Patterson asks. Roger hesitates, takes a deep breath, and admits that was foolish of him. You're not answering the question, points out Patterson. I buried it because I thought it would lead you and a lot of other people to the wrong set of conclusions, says Roger. Because you wanted to conceal the fact that you were on Lookout Point the night Malloy was killed, says Patterson. Yes, admits Roger. You don't have to admit anything you don't want to admit, says Garner. That's all right, says Roger, the sheriff wants the truth and I'm perfectly willing to tell it to him--I have nothing to hide. What were you doing there that night? asks Patterson. I asked Malloy to meet me there, says Roger. What for? asks Patterson. I wanted to talk to him, says Roger. About what? asks Patterson. Does that matter? Roger wants to know. Answer the question, insists the sheriff. I wanted to discuss a business matter, says Roger. On a lonely beach, at that hour of the night, asks Patterson--is that where you usually hold business meetings? It was a private matter, says Roger, I wasn't satisfied with the way Malloy was managing the cannery--it wasn't a conversation I wanted anybody to overhear. Roger sits down. All right, says Patterson, you met him--then what? I did not meet him, amends Roger, by the time I got there, he was already dead. You found him? asks Patterson Yes, he was lying face down in a few feet of water, says Roger. Are you sure he was dead? asks the sheriff. If he wasn't dead, would he have been lying face down in the water? asks Roger. All right, what happened next? asks Patterson. I went to my office, says Roger. Why didn't you telephone me? asks Patterson. Because I was confused and upset and worried and I didn't want to get involved, says Roger. Why did you lie to me the next day, asks the sheriff, why did you tell me you hadn't been near Lookout Point? For the same reason, says Roger. You didn't want to be involved, says Patterson. Yes, says Roger, and I didn't want to put my sister through the ordeal of an investigation--surely that's not a crime! Keeping information from the police, hiding evidence--yes, that is a crime, Patterson informs Roger. Well, what do you intend to do about it? asks Roger as though he's above it all. I don't know yet, says Patterson. I've told you the truth, insists Roger--I was on the beach, but I did not kill Malloy, I had no reason for killing him. No one has established a motive for murder, points out Garner. I haven't accused you of killing anybody, have I? Patterson asks Roger. Not yet, says Roger. If you will just be honest with me, you'll have nothing to worry about, says Patterson. I'm trying to be honest with you, says Roger. Do you have a complete set of keys at Collinwood? asks Patterson. That's an odd question, remarks Roger. Answer it, says Patterson. No, says Roger, I have the key to the front door and a few rooms, my sister has the rest. Do you have a key to Miss Winters' room? asks Patterson. Of course not! shouts Roger. Do you have access to your sister's keys? Asks Patterson. I see what you're getting at, says Roger, our little governess must have told you that someone was trying to break into her room--well it's ridiculous, she imagined the whole thing! Yes, but you're still not answering the question, are you? asks Patterson--do you have access to your sister's keys? If I had some deep dark reason for wanting to break into Vicki's room, I probably could have--why couldn't I? asks Roger--but do you think I would have?--the whole thing is laughable! Patterson, arms crossed over his chest, says he only has one more question--where were you last night at eight o'clock. I went for a drive, says Roger. What was your destination? Asks Patterson. I didn't have one, says Roger, I just was driving around, I wanted to think. Were you alone? asks Patterson. Yes, says Roger. Did you stop, did anyone see you? asks the sheriff. No, says Roger, I didn't stop and no one saw me--why eight o'clock--is that the time Vicki was supposed to have been run over--surely you don't think that I...? I don't think anything, says Patterson, I just asked if anyone saw you, and you'd better think before you answer--this might be very important! Roger's brow furrows. He looks at Garner. No, he says0--wait a minute--I did stop for gas, shortly after eight. Where? demands Patterson. Oh, says Roger, fumbling for it, somewhere outside Clearwater--miles from where Vicki was run down--why don't you call the station and ask the attendant--he can verify the story. All right, agrees Patterson, there aren't too many gas stations around there--we will check. Do that, says Roger, and then perhaps you will believe the rest of my story--I have told you the truth, Sheriff--the entire truth!

Collinwood drawing room - Vicki asks Carolyn if there's anything she can do for her. You can tell me none of this is happening, says Carolyn. I wish I could, says Vicki. That car on the road, asks Carolyn, it could have been an accident. Someone tried to get into my room, Vicki reminds her, that was no accident. You can't believe Uncle Roger us doing these things, says Carolyn. I don't want to believe it, says Vicki.
I've know Uncle Roger all my life, says Carolyn softly, he wouldn't try to hurt you--he couldn't.

I couldn't harm my worst enemy, let alone some helpless little governess, Roger insists to Patterson. So you've told me, says the sheriff. This is all too preposterous, Roger tells Garner when the sheriff leaves the room--can't you do something? Be patient, says Garner, patting his shoulder, once the State Police have checked out your alibi, you have nothing to worry about. How long is it going to take them? Roger demands of Patterson, who is making coffee. While we're waiting, says Patterson, I'd like to ask you a few more questions about the meeting you had with Malloy. What about it? asks Roger. What was the purpose of the meeting? asks Patterson. I've already told you, says Roger, annoyed, it was a business meeting. Roger refuses coffee. A business meeting? asks Patterson, at that hour of night, on a lonely stretch of beach like that? What else would I be discussing with Malloy? asks Roger impatiently. I don't buy it, says Patterson--Burke Devlin has another theory. I know about Burke'e theories, says Roger, he's trying to pin that old manslaughter charge on me and he hasn't got a shred of proof and neither do you! What if Bill Malloy had come across some new evidence? Asks Patterson. What? asks Roger. Suppose he got some new evidence, repeats Patterson--that would give you reason for wanting him dead, wouldn't it? That's pure supposition, says Roger, not a word of truth to it! Why don't you tell me the purpose of the meeting Malloy called between you, Burke Devlin and Sam Evans on the night he died? demands Patterson. Can't you do something? Roger asks Garner, I can't take anymore of this, this whole thing is too preposterous! Someone tried to kill Miss Winters last night, that much is not preposterous, says Patterson. For all I know, says Roger, someone is trying to do away with our little governess
--I only know one thing--that someone is not I!

NOTES: Attitude is everything, Roger, and yours stinks! Talking so belligerently to the sheriff is not a good idea, and you come across as so pompous and snooty! Someone has tried to get at Vicki twice, once to murder her, the other time to. . .? We can only surmise. Was it Roger? Is he lying? We know he lies a lot anyway, is this just one more?

We had Vicki responding to the sheriff's questions, calm except when Garner seemed to doubt that someone tried to harm her. We had Carolyn getting all sobby at the very idea that her uncle could do anything wrong--which we know is bogus and ill-advised on her part, but she loves her uncle and that's all there is to it. We have Roger getting nasty with the sheriff, yet telling a plausible story--even though his hiding the pen makes him look very guilty. Will the gas attendant corroborate his story of where he was when someone almost ran Vicki down?

How will Carolyn and Liz feel toward Vicki if Roger is arrested for murdering Malloy? Will she find herself on the next train back to New York?

Love, Robin