Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1049  (Read 548 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1049
« on: February 29, 2016, 02:12:06 AM »
Robservations #1049

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1049

(This ep marks the final appearance of Denise Nickerson on DS.)

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 09:33:27 PM »
Carolyn tells Roger she can prove that Angelique has pulled off her version of "The Parent Trap". Trask makes a reappearance as he eavesdrops and Amy pops in. I had thought she was long gone.  Drunk Carolyn is so much fun.  Roger wants Carolyn institutionalized for being drunk.  There is a knife that stabs Carolyn.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 12:04:46 PM »
The story shifts into And Then There Were None.

Another first rate performance from Nancy Barrett. Carolyn's quite, quite drunk and no longer has any discretion. She doesn't make complete sense to the other characters but we know there is truth behind what she's saying.
Carolyn pretty much tells Roger who Alexis really is. He denies it first but he seems to seriously consider it towards the end of the episode. Trask seems to as well.
I love this episode so much, as it is a throwback to the earlier days when Bennett, Edmonds and Barrett were all more prominent in the show. The three actors have undeniable chemistry, even though the characters are not quite the same.
Angelique is just here as an observer, though her presence indirectly drives the episode.
It's the final DS appearance for Denise Nickerson. Extremely talented little girl, who didn't get enough to do in recent stories.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 04:52:05 AM »
Nice post, alwaysdavid.  Farewell, Denise Nickerson.  I wonder if writers sometimes write themselves into corners, where it becomes impossible to use this or that great character/actor for a long time, so the actor drifts off.

Trask is back.  Hooray?  Perhaps a lackluster hooray.  This Trask seems to be there to be subservient and boring, as a contrast to all other Trasks.  Joan's back.  Hooray!  Now give her some lines and a personality!  Only so much one can get done with acting alone, if the lines aren't there.

Collinwood's kitchen!  Just the studio's little kitchenette I suppose, with an identifiable Collinwood door to validate it.  I wrote "Amy and Trask!" so it must have been a good scene.  I also wrote: "And now to get out of this 3 piece suit...'  and "Wolverine?  Grrr!" and "remember who I am!" (Roger)

First appearance of the lady or long-haired knight with his magic frisbee?  Carolyn stabbed.  Farewell.  Her whole cynical falling apart,  but with dignity, was very well written and acted.  By Sam Hall.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor