Author Topic: I think I need a tutorial......  (Read 948 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
I think I need a tutorial......
« on: March 04, 2003, 04:41:24 PM »
....in order to make heads or tails of this stuff.  Keep in mind it's all new to me......

Why would Ghost-Quentin let David die?  I can't fathom this behaviour from the character that Quentin has become over the course of this arc.

Before-The-Curse-Quentin was a philandering, self-absorbed, spoiled lush.  After-the-Curse-Quentin is a tormented, remorseful, grieving father and lover.

THIS is the Quentin whom Jamison rejects.  And does that rejection revert him back to his earlier persona?

The character has lost, and suffered and changed.  So why would he take the life of another Collins child?

My own suspicion is that Quentin, like Barnabas, was never originally intended to be a good guy.  But once they got that pretty man on screen, and the fan mail started to pile up like snow, the character was allowed to become more sympathetic, and the pretzel-like plot twists commenced.

I don't know what comes next....but I ain't buying this Kill-David-Cause-I'm-Pissed stuff at all.

raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:I think I need a tutorial......
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 05:08:00 PM »
My own suspicion is that Quentin, like Barnabas, was never originally intended to be a good guy.  But once they got that pretty man on screen, and the fan mail started to pile up like snow, the character was allowed to become more sympathetic, and the pretzel-like plot twists commenced.

That and nobody took the time to sit down and figure out how they were going to keep the character for future plots.

I've stopped watching right now until I get more accustomed to my schedule, decide I can once again stand to watch Roger Davis and Donna McKechnie (and figure out when and where I can sleep, lol), but IIRC, by now Quentin's been temporarily paired with like three or four women, hasn't he? (Beth, Angelique, the evil, evil Amanda and Charity). Not necessarily permanent love interests, but that sort of "let's throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" type of soap opera chemistry crap, correct?
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 05:12:45 PM »
Yeah....that about covers it.
So....you're telling me that the writing at this point is so hoplessly incoherent that I should just go along for the ride and stop trying to make any sense out of it?   ???

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 06:08:06 PM »
So....you're telling me that the writing at this point is so hoplessly incoherent that I should just go along for the ride and stop trying to make any sense out of it?   ???

Sounds like a plan to me.  :)

And how about ghost Beth's sudden decision to appear dressed as a servant?  ::)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 06:24:05 PM »
OY!.....Beth's costumes!!

What, pray tell, could a servant be expected to do wearing lace cuffs that come down to her knuckles? Pour Brandy?

And the hair-dos!!!  I shudder every time I look at that pile of curls on Beth's head.  I was Maid of Honor in my brother's wedding in the the spring of 1972.  We wore our hair up in banana curls just like those.  2 days after the wedding I had to cut off my long hair because of the damage done contriving that horror of a coiffure.  >:(

Dylan Thomas

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2003, 02:53:06 AM »
There's also a very large problem with Beth's ghost recounting to Julia how Quentin died.  She said that she killed Quentin in a jealous rage because he was going to marry Angelique.  Now, despite a whole lotta history changes and paradoxes already done by Barnabas, obviously the main cause of Quentin haunting Collinwood still had not changed - Beth's spook is recounting the unchanged events.  So, if in the unchanged events, Barnabas was not there in 1897, what the heck is Angelique doing there?

Gerard (Who's also wondering why, when Julia entered the haunted Collinwood, there were not only a bunch of lights on, but candles lit and a fire going in the drawing room fireplace, unless Quentin's ghost did all that for want of something to do.)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2003, 09:19:10 AM »
There's also a very large problem with Beth's ghost recounting to Julia how Quentin died.  She said that she killed Quentin in a jealous rage because he was going to marry Angelique.  Now, despite a whole lotta history changes and paradoxes already done by Barnabas, obviously the main cause of Quentin haunting Collinwood still had not changed - Beth's spook is recounting the unchanged events.  So, if in the unchanged events, Barnabas was not there in 1897, what the heck is Angelique doing there?

Exactly! I think the Writers made a big mistake using Angelique as the "other woman" sort to speak.  The only reason Angelique appeared in this time frame was because Quentin & Evan Hanley summoned her up from her world of darkness to help them deal with Barnabas, whom Quentin thought was against him at the time.

They (the Writers) could have used the same scenario with Beth killing Quentin but using a different "other woman" instead.  And it wasn't as if Quentin had any shortage of women.

Rainypark Wrote:
We wore our hair up in banana curls just like those.  2 days after the wedding I had to cut off my long hair because of the damage done contriving that horror of a coiffure. 

OMG Rainey, that must have been terrible.  I could imagine how many rollers you had to use to get those banana curls.  Now a days they have these beautiful hair pieces that one can just stick on their own hair.  And they look so natural too. ;)

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"