Author Topic: OT - Proposed new Night Stalker series ordered  (Read 4620 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OT - Proposed new Night Stalker series ordered
« on: January 18, 2005, 11:39:59 AM »
It seems ABC has ordered a new Night Stalker pilot for its network. I have not been able to obtain additional information on it but hopefully someone here can fill us in on the specifics. The WB also ordered the "Supernatural" pilot. We know how the WB handles its pilots. lol It seems Dark Shadows is still a good fit on any network.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: OT - Proposed new Night Stalker series ordered
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 03:41:58 PM »
Wouldn't it be funny if Chris (X-Files) Carter were behind the new Night Stalker? ;)
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 07:14:21 PM »
Wouldn't it be funny if Chris (X-Files) Carter were behind the new Night Stalker? ;)

That would be great-it would even be better if Dan Curtis was involved but I sincerely doubt that is happening.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 07:26:39 PM »
I don't recall Curtis having been involved in the original Night Stalker TV series.  He did the movies and that was it.  Or is my memory failing me again?

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 09:23:22 PM »
I don't recall Curtis having been involved in the original Night Stalker TV series.  He did the movies and that was it.  Or is my memory failing me again?

No your memory is fine. lol I believe he produced the first film and then directed the second one. Maybe DC will be invited to direct the new pilot?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 10:30:00 PM »
DC has been trying to get a new Night Stalker movie made for at least the last 15 years. So, I'd be a bit surprised if he isn't involved in this new project in some way.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 02:17:04 AM »
DC has been trying to get a new Night Stalker movie made for at least the last 15 years. So, I'd be a bit surprised if he isn't involved in this new project in some way.

I believe you are right MB. Just wonder why DCP could not convince the networks to pick up his proposed version of NS? I guess timing is everything. Funny I did not see Night Stalker anywhere on the networks list of pilots they were considering. Maybe a new DS still has a chance although I am guessing that DCP is now trying to get a movie studio interested. Hope ABC treats its pilots better than the WB.

Going way off topic here tomorrow's NY Times reviews Point Pleasant and the author states, "Point Pleasant has none of the wit of "Dark Shadows" or Buffy".

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 02:43:12 AM »
Going way off topic here tomorrow's NY Times reviews Point Pleasant and the author states, "Point Pleasant has none of the wit of "Dark Shadows" or Buffy".

Actually, I was going to post a topic about the Point Pleasant reviews tomorrow (the show's premiere date) because invariably every one of them has referenced DS. How DS factors into the equation, though, depends entirely on what they thought of PP. The reviews that like the show (which seem to be few and far between) have said that DS fans might like PP. On the other hand, the reviews that have disliked the show have said that it's no DS.

I'm not quite sure when DS became the Gothic series touchstone to measure every other against. Certainly DS' detractors would be shocked by such a development. But who are we to question it?  [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 02:59:54 AM »
I'm not quite sure when DS became the Gothic series touchstone to measure every other against. Certainly DS' detractors would be shocked by such a development. But who are we to question it?  [wink2]

Gee....where was all this excellent "word of mouth" when the new pilot was being discussed?

The pilot fails.....the Original goes completely off the air....and suddenly it's the Holy Grail of gothic stories.

>:(
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 07:43:35 AM »
Gee....where was all this excellent "word of mouth" when the new pilot was being discussed?

The pilot fails.....the Original goes completely off the air....and suddenly it's the Holy Grail of gothic stories.

>:(

Really!  And if it's the Holy Grail, why aren't the networks all falling all over themselves to bring it back?!  Grr!

Anyway, about the original topic, how cool they're finally making a new NS pilot! :D  Thanks for posting this news, Jimbo!  Does anybody know if DC own the rights to NS?  And any idea who'll be playing Kolchak in the pilot?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: OT - "Point Pleasant"
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 07:25:00 AM »

Based on the pilot alone, I'd have to agree.  But it was nice seeing Michael Cavanaugh (Sheriff Patterson).  Bzzzzz  ;)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 01:28:39 PM »
Well i was just about to say. . hasn't a redo of the Night Stalker been done. . i.e. The X-Files?  It seems supersilious to me and likely to fail.
Julia99

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 07:53:42 PM »
Apparently this person isn't known as the Filmjerk without good reason:

ABC is working on a remake of Kolchak the Night Stalker! Because we all know how well that remake of "Dark Shadows" went last year.

::)

Offline AdAstra

• Junior Poster
  • Shadows of the night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005, 09:47:33 PM »
So...was Night Stalker the inspiration for the X-files?  I haven't seen it, so I have no idea what it's about.  Was Dan Curtis involved in it?  Just wonderin...thanks!
Ciao
-Mel

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005, 08:01:46 AM »
Yes, Night Stalker was an inspiration to Chris Carter. He wanted to get Darren McGavin to play Fox Mulders dad. Dan Curtis was involved with the two Night Stalker movies, (The Night Stalker, and The Night Strangler) but then he didn't have anything to do with the series.

I hope they do make another version of the Night Stalker. I thought it was different enough from the X-Files.

Who would everyone like to see play the lead role?

Misa