Poll

Would you like Seaview to be the representation of Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film?

Yes.
No.
I don't know.

Author Topic: Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film  (Read 16129 times)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Re: Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 05:54:08 AM »
Thanks to Selby D. Pierson for posting this.  Speaking as one of the lucky people who had the pleasure of visiting the house last week, it would be wonderful if we could get a campaign together to at least TRY and get it used.

A few thoughts occurred to me in reading everyone's posts.  Seriously dating myself as a Fanosaur here, but I do remember the first Save Star Trek! campaign, and most of the basic ground rules back then still apply.  

Don't have my copy of Star Trek Lives! to hand at the moment to recap the dos and don'ts, but one thing that did strike me was the mention of the petition sites.  Keep in mind that ANY petition, no matter HOW many signatures it has, is never counted as more than ONE letter.  When I inquired of people involved in other campaigns, such as the tobasco campaign for Roswell,and those for other shows in recent years, they confirmed that this has not changed.

The IDEAL would be to get the names of executives in decision making positions regarding the DS project. Email addresses would be great, IF they can be obtained; snailmail still works too, BTW.  If the latter, make sure you have a name, title and address.  Seems silly to point this out here, but many other DS venues are not as courteous and savvy of how things are done in the business world, so I have to say, please point out basics when you alert other groups and boards, using your judgement on the emotional maturity of the posters, not to mention the presence of trolls who would write nasty letters just to make trouble.

Basics:

Be respectful and courteous.
Bring out points about how the use of the house would build interest (read $$$$ in pocket).
Keep it short and concise.
IF using Snailmail, do NOT write "Dark Shadows" or Johnny Depp ANYWHERE on the envelope (unless by some miracle someone actually has an address for JD, and in that case I think they'd know for SURE not to share it).  Putting either of those on the envelope is likely to get it routed to the fanmail department, who probably wouldn't know what to do with the letter.
DON'T use a form letter
DON'T reuse the same letter template without changing it.  They can figure out its the same person or group of people, which would put a monkey wrench in them taking it seriously.

Thats all I remember at this hour.  

The suggestions about professional sites such as IMDB would also be good.  For most upcoming projects, studios or production companies have people cruising boards to get a handle on stuff like fan reaction, fan interest etc.  Actors and production people have also been known to lurk on boards connected to projects to scope out the fans, so keep that in mind when figuring out your individual approach on how to spread the word.

Jeannie

Oh, MB, if you do get the time to do your hunt for Collinwood candidates in England, you might want to check out Blenheim Palace.  Large, multiwinged imposing and spectacular, it's one of my favorite candidates.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 08:04:54 AM »
It would definitely be awesome to have Seaview used as Collinwood in the new movie!  I would think Johnny Depp would like that idea too, since he's such a big fan of DS.  But, again, since they're filming it in England, I don't know how realistic of an idea this is.  I also totally agree with Pansity's cautions and guidlelines as to how to approach TPTB about the idea.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 12:52:43 PM »
If I remember right, on the commentary track for Sleepy Hollow they say that were some location shots done for it.

Really?  I stand corrected, then.  I thought sure I remembered them speaking about how they built that entire town, and even had the horse and carriages running around in circles on this soundstage.  I guess that if there were location shots, too, I missed that part  [ghost_embarrassed]  Well, there's even more hope, then!

Offline John_in_NC

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 04:22:35 PM »
A big thanks to Selby D. Pierson for getting this started.  There are some great posts in this thread.  I am a huge Seaview fan and never tire of visiting the mansion.  In my opinion the image of Seaview is the image of Dark Shadows!  Count me in on a petition.  Also, if someone could post an address I will be glad to write to whoever. 
Thanks again,
John(in NC)

Offline JosettebyCandlelight

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 05:15:35 AM »
A quick reply to what one of you above commenting on how Joshua Collins/ and or Jeremiah Collins would not have chosen to build a house in the French Renaissance style.... well aside from what they said in the beginning of series, about Jeremiah building it for his French/Martinician wife Josette, in the 1795 flashback Joshua Collins talked about how he hates tea because it reminds him of the British(which he despises) because of his experience with the Revolutionary War(and life before that as well). So what would have stopped Joshua Collins from continuing to be an American rebel and build a French style house?

On a separate note, Seaview resembles a haunted castle. In the subconscious of the fans it is the "haunted castle" in which ghosts, other supernatural creatures and Barnabas a sort of "Dracula" inhabit or visit.

For fans it is also "home", it is after all, Collinwood.
"Yes, I promise...believe me.
Please..don't leave, or I'll have no one...."

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 05:43:45 AM »
Well, actually, Seaview leans more towards the French Eclectic style, which didn't come into vogue until 1920 - not surprising since it was built in the 1920s. Though the Collinses were often way ahead of their time.  [ghost_wink]

The one thing Seaview does have going for it is that French Eclectic incorporates the half-timbering of and the materials used in the Tudor style, which to my mind would make for a more appropriate Collinwood.

The interesting thing will be to see what the backstory of Collinwood will be in the film. As I've said before, I loved how the Collinwood of the '91 series was originally built in England, then disassembled, shipped stone by stone to Collinsport, and then reassembled. And with that sort of history, it wouldn't be at all odd to use a shooting location in England.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 06:29:00 AM »
I love that story too MB!  I for one am against Seaview being used as Collinwood!  I will pass.  To everything a time and a season! I want something fresh!   Please don't hurl stones at me!

T
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 01:28:07 PM »
I for one am against Seaview being used as Collinwood!  I will pass.  To everything a time and a season! I want something fresh!   Please don't hurl stones at me!
Heaven forbid stone throwing. I was thinking more along the lines of using bricks, they do more damage.  [ghost_wink] [ghost_cheesy]
Seriously, although a vast majority of the fans would disagree, you're certainly entitled to your opinion Taeylor, and I will defend you on that front, however wrong you may appear.  [ghost_grin] [ghost_grin]

p.s. Anna says HI  [ghost_wink]
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 09:05:37 PM »
Do you want to throw the bricks or maybe use them to wall up something....so somebody?

Just joking.

Maybe someone from a parallel time went into the future, got the idea for the Seaview, then went back in time, and gave the Collins family the idea for it.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 12:35:17 AM »
Imagine if they had gone to the sixties and returned, building a Collinwood with shag lime-green carpeting and faux wood panelling.  And a grand staircase that looked like the one from the Brady House.

Gerard

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 12:42:45 AM »
Now that real scary! [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 12:47:39 AM »
And don't forget, Borgosi, instead of candelabras, there would be lava lamps blurping everywhere!

Gerard

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 01:16:51 AM »
And black lights with posters printed with hi-glow paint.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 01:52:56 AM »
I am fine with being in the minority!  Side Note:  My points jumped like ten points. It's the little things that make me happy!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 02:42:15 AM »
    Yo T, I'm glad your happy but maybe you should give Sea View another thought. Just a thought...