Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0219  (Read 2797 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0219
« on: January 26, 2007, 06:00:29 AM »

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
Re: Discuss - Ep #0219
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 08:17:44 AM »
I'm surprised Willie came back to Collinwood after wanting to desperately leave.  Now that his night with the vampire is over, he can relax again until dusk.  But alas, he isn't going to get any rest at all.  In fact, I assume he'll have nightmares!

Jason now completely mistrusts Willie's apparent illness.  Of course Willie being very sick during the day and feeling better at night is strange and unbelievable on normal circumstances.  He'll never be able to explain that speedy recovery nor will he want to.

Why was Roger Collins called to the sheriff's department?  What could he do to help the sheriff solve the animal attacks?  And why does the Collins family have farms?  Isn't their business the cannery?  I guess they own just about everything in town.  This is one way for Roger to learn about the animal attacks and the loss of blood.

We meet Dr. Woodard, #1 that is, and now we hear what's really wrong with Willie.  Loss of blood just like the cows.  The doctor says that Willie needs rest, fluids, food and he'll recover.  Too bad he'll get none of it.  In a future episode [spoiler]when Willie gets shot by the deputies and is rushed to the hospital,[/spoiler] Woodward will say that Willie has a strong constitution.  Here is the first look at that constitution because Willie does survive this and continues to work hard.

Will anyone wonder if the "person" that attacked the animals attacked Willie?  That's what the sheriff should be wondering if he hears about Willie's "illness.  Now that Roger knows about Willie's problem, I wonder if he'll bring it up to the sheriff?  It does sound like more than a coincidence.
[/color]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 03:20:48 PM »
As I was watching this episode, I decided that if I were watching the show with no idea of what was really going on, I'd have come to two conclusions:

1) At night, Barnabas is borrowing Willie's vitality to get out and around.  Willie stays in the coffin, lifeless, until Barnabas returns in the morning.  After all, so far we haven't seen Willie and Barnabas in the same episode, except for the hand reaching out of the coffin to grab Willie's throat.

2) Barnabas gets Willie's vitality by draining Willie's blood, and at some point (here my theory would get a bit shaky), Willie goes and drains the cows to replenish his blood.  I would not guess that a single creature would take blood from both a human and a cow.  (Is that prejudiced of me, to think that once you've drunk human blood, then bovine blood just doesn't satisfy anymore?)

Well, I would have been wrong on both points.  So here I am, imagining Barnabas draining cow after cow after cow after cow - with the occasional Willie-snack for a change of pace - to slake the blood-thirst of 172 years.

I wonder what happened to the original credits for this show.  The ones I saw on the DVD listed Nancy Barrett, I'm sure - though when I tried to go back and see the credits again, I couldn't get to the right place.  That's one area where VCRs were much easier to work than DVD players.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 05:34:28 PM »
 :-  Willie comes through the service entrance door looking real dazed. He looks like he is really out of it and may fall onto the floor again. Jason comes out of the drawing room and tells him he waited up all night for him. (thanks daddy!) Then he demanded answers to his questions, and any nit could have seen that Willie was in no condition to answer questions! He begged to be left alone but nothing doing. Jason accused him of going to the cemetary, he followed him and he saw his car there. (so it is Willie's car, I wonder if they both arrived in it, and maybe Liz has bought Jason a car now, so he had a car to follow him in) He demanded to know why Willie went to the cemetary, though he already knew. Willie whimpered that he hadn't been there and he was sick and needed to rest. Jason thought he must be faking it since he had been fine enough to leave the night before. He accused him of looking for the jewels all night and needing rest and sleep during the day. Well now he was going to leave, and that was it. Willie said he couldn't, he was sick and needed to rest. Jason said a nice drive in the country will help you. They went on and a bit with this and finally Willie fell to the floor and Jason had to help him up. Willie was really in a bad way!

Upstairs he thrashed around on the bed like he had before, and Roger came in. The conversation was pretty much the same as it had been with Jason, only Roger was ordering him to leave, he said Liz had told him to come up and tell Willie to leave. We don't see the conversation between Roger and Liz, but I think we can assume that Liz learned about Willie's having left the night before and they all feel that if Willie could leave the night before and be out all night, he was ok to leave for good. Jason must've agreed to this, otherwise he'd still be forcing Liz to allow Willie to stay.

Willie tried to get up but begged Roger to help him up. This was so sad. Roger felt he was faking the whole thing, and even applauded his performance. "Sarah Bernhart could take lessons!" He told Willie he looked "ghastly" and that leant credance to his performance. I should think anyone could tell that Willie really was sick, in spite of the fact that he had been out all night.

When Willie tried to stand up, he fell back onto the bed, and Roger left totally ticked off. Willie looked so pathetic. My heart went out to him but it always does!!

Downstairs Roger confronted Jason, said Willie was a fraud, not sick, but Jason contended he was. (now changing his tune) Roger doesn't believe it, both he and Liz want Willie gone. (this irks me, Willie isn't bothering anyone now, he's staying up in that room by himself and it's not such a big deal to let him stay til he's well) Jason said he had taken a turn for the worse and Roger scathingly says, "A cough would be a turn for the worse!" Roger is so understanding! Roger demands that Jason get a doctor for Willie, Dr. Woodard's (!!!) number is in the book, call him, he's one of the less addled quacks around (Loved this!)

The phone rang and it was the Sheriff, we hear Roger's end of the conversation. During this, Jason is looking real nervous, like oh gak have they gotten something on me? Roger says he doesn't have time to come talk to him, but he finally agrees. Then he tells Jason that the Sheriff has a craving for intelligent conversation (so he calls on ROGER??) He tells Jason to call the doctor and regrets that he won't be there to say goodbye to Willie, who should be gone by the time Roger returns.

The Sheriff explains to Roger about the cattle. It sounds like there have been many cattle drained of blood and their carcasses just left there. This is so gakky! But it raises a question. Barnabas has only been free for a few days. He's feeding from Willie and the cattle? Later on, [spoiler]he feeds from Maggie and we stop hearing about the cattle, and throughout the show we never hear of him feeding from cattle again. There are times it appears he isn't feeding at all, except for maybe a mention of someone at the docks being attacked or something.[/spoiler] Is he maybe feeding so much right now because he has to make up for 172 years of not feeding while he was in the coffin? That's all I can think of, otherwise he'd be attacking cattle throughout the run of the show.

At any rate this deal about the cattle is gross, and I'm glad they don't describe it more graphically. The sheriff says it's been done so expertly that there's no way it was done by an animal, it was done by a human being. Roger asks what kind of depraved vandalism was that? It sounds like some of the farms belonged to the Collinses and others were privately owned. I never knew the Collins family owned any farms. They are both confused as to who would do such a thing? Well there has been a newcomer to town in the past couple days and that's just when this cattle thing began. So it's not Jason or Willie who have been around a while, but will Roger question if it could be Barnabas. No of course not, he's a "marvelous man!"

At Collinwood Dr. Woodard has examined Willie, and takes his time to explain what's wrong with him. He says Willie isn't sick, before finally explaining that he's suffering from a loss of blood, his heartbeat and pulse are threaded because his heart is being called upon to work very hard with the blood it has left. He tells Jason to just let Willie rest and drink a lot of fluids.

Later Roger comes in when Jason and the doctor are downstairs and Dr Woodard explains to Roger about Willie's loss of blood. You can see that Roger is comparing this with what the Sheriff told him about the cattle. Could there be a connection? Again Dr. Woodard tells them to let Willie rest and he'd be fine.

Upstairs Willie is thrashing something awful, it's getting dusk again and he knows what that means! He cries "no, no no!!!" Oh my poor sweet Willie!

Alondra :'(

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 08:46:55 AM »
I never liked what they said about the cattle. Maybe Barn didn't want to hurt Willie more so that he doesn't kill him. He needed someone to protect him. (Also I don't think the it came across to well, was peta around then?). I really wonder if Roger was putting it together. ??

I also wonder if Willie wanted to tell Liz about Barn? I wonder how things would have changed if he did?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 09:38:08 AM »
I'm sure Willie wanted to tell the whole world about Barnabas - but he couldn't.  Bless John Karlen: he made it believable.

As for Roger, I think the only things he ever managed to put together correctly were a brandy glass and his lips.

I like the cattle business - possibly for the very reason you dislike it, lori54: because it is ugly.  Didn't Voldemort drink blood from a unicorn?  These days, when I think of Barnabas draining the cows, that's the picture that comes to me - dark and perverted.  Of course, at this point it has not been made clear what's going on, but the deaths of the cattle tell you whatever is going on, it's bad, and they tell you that whatever is happening to Willie, it isn't all inside his head.  It's real.

According to their website, PETA was founded in 1980, so they wouldn't have had anything timely to say about the ill-fated Cows of Dark Shadows.  I find it hard to believe that anybody was inspired by Dark Shadows to drink blood from cows, but there are some very weird people out there.

Here's what I want to know: if the cow-draining had occurred on-screen, would Alex Stevens have played the cow?

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 02:01:22 PM »
I never liked what they said about the cattle. Maybe Barn didn't want to hurt Willie more so that he doesn't kill him. He needed someone to protect him. (Also I don't think the it came across to well, was peta around then?). I really wonder if Roger was putting it together.

I also wonder if Willie wanted to tell Liz about Barn? I wonder how things would have changed if he did?

I can't think of anyone who "liked" what happened to the cows but the idea makes one know something dreadful is about to happen.  Since this is horror in the making, it's perfect.  And when we see Willie in this state, both physically and mentally, we KNOW it's not going to get better for a LONG time.  Again these facts help create our feelings of dread and loathing for the monster who's doing all this.  Remember, they plan to kill the "breast" so they, the writers, want us to hate him.

It looked like Willie was all set to tell Liz about something very important.  Was it about the breast he released from her family tomb?  Would she believe him, the man she wanted out of her house because he frightened her daughter and governess?  Would he be able to prove anything?  Maybe he just wanted to sincerely apologize and have her believe him.  I think people would have thought him mad.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 02:12:32 PM »
Here's what I want to know: if the cow-draining had occurred on-screen, would Alex Stevens have played the cow?

[laughing4][stfl]

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 02:18:55 PM »
My take on it, is that Barn drank from Willie because he needed a servant/protector during the day.  The cattle attacks I think were the result of barn's efforts to keep from attacking humans (he was tortured even in these early episodes, and tried not to attack humans.  Of course things changed once he met Maggie and convinced himself she was the reincarnation of his Josette.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 05:38:51 PM »
I've read of drinking blood from cattle in one other place. In the three book trilogy by Alexander Solzhenitzen "The Gulag Archipalago" the third book had to do with prisoners escaping. They had to travel sometimes hundreds of miles to get home and had to steal food or find water along the way. Sometimes they couldn't find any water so they were reduced to...doing what Barnabas did. Rather gross but they were desperate.

Alondra

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 03:19:12 AM »
I've read of drinking blood from cattle in one other place. In the three book trilogy by Alexander Solzhenitzen "The Gulag Archipalago" the third book had to do with prisoners escaping. They had to travel sometimes hundreds of miles to get home and had to steal food or find water along the way. Sometimes they couldn't find any water so they were reduced to...doing what Barnabas did. Rather gross but they were desperate.

There are tribes in Africa and in other places that drink the blood of animals.

The Maasai are also famous for drinking a mixture of cattle blood and milk during ceremonial rites. An arrow is shot at close range to punture the jugular vein of the cow. The blood is drawn into a skin gourd and later mixed with milk to be drunk by the gathering. The animal is not left to bleed but is carefully tended to, till it fully heals.

http://www.shoortravel.com/maratribe.html

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 11:21:18 AM »
I also didn't know the Collins holdings included farms, Jackie.  But they were rich, and the town was named after them, so it makes sense.  And, of course, Roger doesn't put two and two together and figure out that BARNABAS was the culprit.

I'm glad they recast the role of Dr. Woodard.  He was rather boring and old.  Robert Gerringer was my favorite actor in the role.

It seems to me that Barnabas was feeding on Willie just enough for him to be his slave, so he could do things for him, provide information, and protect him during the day.  Barnabas needed Willie, so he had to keep him alive.  I also think that he WAS remorseful and fed on cattle to avoid feeding on people until he met Maggie, and things changed.

----- Sally -----

[coolg] 
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 05:34:10 PM »
I'm glad they recast the role of Dr. Woodard.  He was rather boring and old.  Robert Gerringer was my favorite actor in the role.

Me too.  The first Woodard, besides older and boring, was rather "cold" as if he didn't know the Collins family or didn't like them much.  He was stiff and unemotional... like doctors?  [laughing_devil]  Gerringer came in and seemed to know the Collins better and was friendlier.  RG is my favorite Woodard although #3 had a difficult job to do...[spoiler]find out about Barnabas' secret and keep from getting killed over it.[/spoiler][/color][/size]

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 05:44:37 PM »
It kind of irked me that this first Dr. Woodard at first told Jason that Willie wasn't sick at all. He took his sweet time about telling him what was really wrong with Willie. Finally he gave him this information about the loss of blood but I wondered why he said he wasn't sick. If loss of blood isn't a sickness what is?

I also liked the second Dr. Woodard, Robert Gerringer the best. He was handsome, had a pleasant voice and manner and I would have loved him to be my doctor. The third Dr. Woodard Peter Turgeon did a great job though he was not handsome at all, and his voice was grating. But to come into a role so quickly he did a great job. I thought he was a good actor.

Alondra