Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0361  (Read 714 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0361
« on: December 10, 2012, 07:25:50 PM »
Robservations - #361

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0361

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 07:42:18 PM »
Since this is the Grayson Solo ep, and a beloved ep of many Graysonholics, I thought I'd mention that all but one of the screen caps posted to the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - Blackmailing Liz-Intro to Barnabas-Kidnapping Maggie-Intro to Julia" board today feature Julia in some way or another. Though I suppose that might not be too surprising given that Julia is in every single scene.  [santa_wink]

The first 14 screen caps (one of which only features Carolyn - I know, shocking but true) have already been posted - and the last 14 will be posted later this afternoon. Enjoy every terrified, traumatized, and terrorized moment they depict!  [santa_shocked]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:19:30 PM »
A GH tour-de-force, if ever there was one!

It must be Sarah who unlocks the door to the mausoleum, freeing Julia.

Gleefully Carolyn tells Julia that she'll be home alone. Even Elizabeth has driven to Bangor--but how did she keep up her driving during her 18 years of self-imposed seclusion? Did she maybe drive around the grounds for practice?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »
At least for this one day, I'm glad I can't take part in the Watching Project...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:59:14 PM »
There's a lengthy clip from this episode posted on Youtube currently, one of a series (of three, I believe) some individual has waggishly entitled, "Grayson Hall teaches method acting."  (I believe the first of the clips is from Julia's first scene in Tony Peterson's office and includes the legendary "Oh Ro-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-HA-jer" moment.) 

Years ago I loaned the MPI videotape including this episode to a friend.  He screened it as a "selected short feature" at his Oscar party that year.  He claimed that Grayson's histrionics pretty much shredded interest in the Oscars--major intervention was required to settle the room down for proper attention to the rather insipid action in the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.

When the phone rings and it's "Dave" from beyond the grave, does anyone think it sounds like Jonathan Frid imitating the actor who played "Dave"?  I had never thought this until the last time I ran this show, and I had a flashback to when Lara Parker did a one woman show at a DS Festival in the 1990s in which she performed a short version of "Sorry, wrong number" and Frid did the phone bit in that.

DAAAAAAAAAAVE!  DAAAAAAAVE!  Is it YOUUUUUU, DAAAAVE? NO-HO-HO-HO-HOOOO.... NO!

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 09:17:45 AM »
It's been awhile, but I have a vague memory of noticing Frid on the phone...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 12:14:29 AM »
Regarding Frid as Dave on the phone -- They credit Peter Turgeon in the role of Dr. Woodard in the closing credits -- It would be highly probable that he did the phone voice as well. I will listen to it again and let you know who it sounds like to me.

Do I love Grayson? Yes, I do. Do I love this episode? Hell no. Sorry, most of it is way too over the top for me. Some good moments but this should have been the lost episode as it does not matter (IMO). Nothing new here at all. I did enjoy Barrett's opening voiceover. Did Julia really think that Carolyn would stay with her? I guess she is desperate enough to hope so. After what happened at the mausoleum I really can't blame her. I wish she would have held on to the thought that Barn was doing all this. But I suppose the point is that her guilt is too overwhelming and her psyche too fragile because of it. The only value of this episode for me is being reminded that Vicki & David are at aunt Catherine's. I'd much rather have seen what was going on there, or gone along for the ride with Liz. Driving must be like riding a bike, DL, once you know how, you never forget? And as good a guess as any about Sarah opening the mausoleum door for Julia but it could just as well have been Barnabas letting her out to continue the next phase of his mental torture. My first thought was that it was Sarah.

I wish my home were so well lit during a power outage. How about that wavering reverse image of Julia's door? I'm not feelin' Frid as the voice on the phone. It sounded more like P. Turgeon imitating Frid than vice versa.

I am at the start of MPI VHS Volume 27. This is the tape that features the 1795 promo with Vicki & Barn. Why it's in B&W is beyond me? Gravy promo. Love Vicki's cowardly lion-ish hairdo.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 03:23:21 AM »
losts of work for the sound effects department today with sobbing and screeching in the mausoleum. Julia lights up during this time and smokes away to calm her nerves perhaps. So apparently the love of Barnabas has turned the formerly steely doctor into a quivering mass with no ability to use any of her training on herself.  Julia babbles at blood drips.  later at Collinwood, the lone doctor is subjected to banging doors and windows and a self playing grand piano.  Julia flees to her room instead of driving into town to have company. Julia has a phone in her room and how far have we come when everyone had to run down to the foyer to answer the phone.  And then there was more babblling.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times