Poll

The summer 1970 storyline is unique in that 2 governesses were present at Collinwood. If you were Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, which of these two would you choose to have stay on as governess, knowing what you know as a DS viewer from watching them?

Maggie Evans
2 (66.7%)
Daphne Harridge
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Governesses at Collinwood  (Read 1966 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Governesses at Collinwood
« on: November 12, 2005, 07:55:53 PM »
New poll for Dark Shadows Forums.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Governesses at Collinwood
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 03:19:43 PM »
Daphne seemed fine, but having to divide her time between teaching a child and destroying that child's father must have been something of a strain on her governess duties.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 05:48:11 PM »
isn't someone being forgotten here? ???
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 07:02:51 PM »
What about Vicki and Rachel? I think that they were both better governesses than Maggie and Daphne.

Misa

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 11:16:51 PM »
I haven't seen much of Daphne, but out of the others, I would choose Victoria.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 11:45:03 PM »
I imagine we could also include Phyllis Wicikes, but then what we would imagine about her would have to be up to our imaginations.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 12:34:41 AM »
I probably shouldn't presume to speak for TNickey2003, BUT I assumed that the point of this poll is to choose who between Maggie and Daphne was the better governess, and the reference to "(in any time period)" might refer to the fact that Daphne actually acted as governess in both 1840/41 and 1970 (particularly after she had been brought back to life). In fact, in 1970 Daphne was in direct competition with Maggie.  ;)  Otherwise the other DS governesses might have been included in this poll or there might be an "other" option, as TNickey2003 has included in a few of his other polls.   :)

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 02:01:51 AM »
Out of those two, Maggie because I don't remember much of Daphne. I especially didn't know she was a governess. I thought she was someone's sister on the show. Out of all the governesses, I like Victoria the most.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 04:28:40 AM »
Of these two I chose Maggie, because she is also the same as Vicki. She put herself in danger when she went to Collinwood to look for Amy. But then again Daphne when she was brought back to life seemed to be pretty take charge until she ended up doing what Gerard told her to do.

I don't remember the show showing much of Daphne with the children, who really weren't children by this time anyway. She was mostly interacting with Quentin and Gerard.

So, I stick with Maggie out of these two choices.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »
The governess par excellance in Dark Shadows was the ever-patient Victoria Winters. Mild and decent (I guess that's what she was) she was perfect with children plus she had a tendency to discipline (remember her preaching to Willie Loomis about his behavior? Not that he didn't deserve it). Never saw Maggie as the Vickie replacement, but Maggie always struck me as being more raw and high-strung than Victoria. Don't know Daphne at all.
My vote goes to Victoria Winters.

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 02:19:24 PM »
The reason I didn't include Vicki in the poll was that it would be a foregone conclusion in the minds of many that she would be the first choice, especially since she is most readily identified with the role of governess, and served the longest as governess ( about 2 1/2 years before her mysterious disappearance into the past with Jeff Clark/Peter Bradford).

I think I included just Maggie and Daphne in this poll since apart from Vicki they are the only two governesses who are both seen in the 20th. century.  And its true Daphne was in a competition of sorts as a matter of course with Maggie when she transcended time to live in 1970.

I admit it does seem vague to have said "in any time period". I suppose I could have said "in the same time period" instead, since that was the case with Maggie and Daphne.  I feel these are the reasons I narrowed my choices down to these two, and did not include Vicki or Rachel as choices.

Though Daphne was not appointed a governess in 1970, she would possess the knowledge and experience of her having been a governess in 1840. Another thing about DS characters who transcend time to live in the present:  They seem to fit in as naturally in the present as they did in their own times. Thus being out of her own time would not seem to be a disadvantage for Daphne.

I hope this post helps clarify things a bit as you consider the choices in this poll.

Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 10:52:41 PM »
Maggie Evans
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 07:28:31 AM »
Anne Richards of Texas.

Courtesy of "Frustrated-Groans-R-Us".
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 03:34:33 PM »
I thought she was someone's sister on the show.

She was a sister, to older siibling Catherine, in the 1841 PT plotline.  She married Bramwell.  In 1840 RT, she was the governess to Tad.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 08:22:05 AM »
[spoiler]Daphne in RT 1840 was the sister of JoAnna, Quentin's late mistress. Daphne arrives to take the position of governess, but she is really there to avenge her sister. She plans to kill Quentin because she believes he killed JoAnna. In PT 1841 she plays Catherine's sister; she marries Bramwell, but then she becomes ill and dies.

I always thought she was supposed to be Catherine's younger sister.[/spoiler]

Misa